Magazines?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Magazines?

Postby BD1 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:27 pm

Anyone played with adapting larger mags? I only have the one five rounder that came with my upper. They want $49.00/each for those things, so i'm thinking about adapting some of my .223 mags. I only brought a couple of 10 rounders with me to NY as just about everything, (except paying taxes), is illegal here.
I haven't had much luck getting the ten rounders to feed the last two cartridges, (loaded with five .450 Bs, that makes them 3 rounders at best).

Anyone had luck adapting .223 mags?

BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Re: Magazines?

Postby Siringo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:35 pm

I have had great luck with the SS Bushmaster 5 round magazines. I tried 20 round GI mags and they we not as good as Bushmasters. I have used Sig 556 mags and these work well with SST bullets. I added the blue follower, but have since just milled the original follower using a 1/2" round profile(like the blue follower). The 556 mags do not work well with FP bullets. Reason being is the feed lips put the loaded round in a lower position in relation to the feed ramp. Opening up the feed lips will solve that problem, but caution -- a little too much and the rounds just pop out on their own. The 556's hold 12 rounds.

I am very partial to the PMag 20 round mag. I modify the follower to center the cartridge under the feed lips. I also removed the rib in the magazine body and then install two nylon 8 x 32 pan head slotted screws on the front face of the follower (my anti-tilt design). These work well and the mags hold 8 rounds (tight) - 7 round perfectly. These feed the 240 gr and SST's great. I also have shot 335 gr. lead WFN bullets.
Siringo

Postby MudBug » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:39 pm

I've had good luck with the Sig 556 mags, unmodified. They will hold 12 rounds but function best when only loaded to 10 rounds.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby wildcatter » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:58 pm

Ok gents, I used GI thirty's for years with no ill effects..But, the feed problem of the last round can be easily over come, here's the recipe.. Use the GI follower, take it out and turn it over and ruff up the follower cavity, go get some JB Weld (at any automotive parts house), mix it up, pour it in the follower cavity, after it hardens real good; like tomorrow, run a half inch ball nose mill cutter down the middle of the top side of the follower, end of feeding problems and twelve or thirteen rds, depending on Manf,..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby MudBug » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:49 pm

The Bushmaster mags are just standard straight 20's with a single shot sled follower installed. These followers are used by CMP/DCM/Highpower shooters for single shot loading when using the longer than mag length loads. You can buy them from Fulton Armory.

However, I have tried them in the 30 round GI mags with no luck, they just don't work well in a curved mag, they bind up.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby gunnut » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:20 pm

I have followed Wildcatters instructions with a 40 rd. I also cut the lips back to match the factory mag. Works great! But, I can only get 17rds in it before my thumb get sore. It takes awhile to shoot 17rds! You'll think you've gone a couple of rounds in a boxing match! :lol:
gunnut

Postby wildcatter » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:13 am

gunnut wrote:I have followed Wildcatters instructions with a 40 rd. I also cut the lips back to match the factory mag. Works great! But, I can only get 17rds in it before my thumb get sore. It takes awhile to shoot 17rds! You'll think you've gone a couple of rounds in a boxing match! :lol:

As usual GN will get you thinking. It might be about time we thought about a speed loader for our thumbs. I have no idea what might work well, but how about this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nKy9Tiq5HM . I think we're going to have to go down this road, so I await your results..

Now, for recoil I do have a clue and I use a Caldwell Lead Sled with 4 bags of shot, for 100lbs, to tame the recoil while on the bench. This make the recoil seem like a 10-22 or less..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BD1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:29 am

I'm comfortable with the lead buttstock brick, recoil pad and gentry Brake on the bench, not as "light' as a 10/22, more like my 6.5x55. More of a "push" than a "shove". I'm still thinking about what I'd like for a permanent stock once all the load work is done. Maybe we ought to start a stock thread?
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Volt » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:48 pm

Sig 5.56 30rnd clips work great !! I have 4. 10 rounds load and work easy no modifacations.
Volt

Postby Siringo » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:43 pm

This weekend I was using a new Magpul 20 rounder shooting my 240 gr. load. The only modifications I made was to reshape the follower. I started to have failures to eject and traced the problem to the magazines. The magpuls are made with a center rib in the body. Upon recoil from the 450, the follower slams into this rib creating a divot. During the firing/extraction process, the follower gets jammed in its upmost position during recoil and can't move downward as the bolt carrier moves rearward atop the cartridges -- thus retarding bolt movement.

On my other magpuls, I have I removed the center rib and added nylon screws to the front of the follower to take up the space where the rib was located. These work flawlessly.

Just thought I would pass this on!
Siringo

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles