Barnes 275gr "TSX" Hog Hammer

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Barnes 275gr "TSX" Hog Hammer

Postby wildcatter » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:15 pm

So, There I was, up on the Klondike, when all of a sudden..

Ok, so maybe it's been a long time since I was on the Klondike.

So, I was just talking to Barnes about Reminton's Hog-Hammer's.

I wanted to know what are the differences in the TSX 275's and the XPB 275's.

With the TSX's being for rifles and the XPB's generally being for pistols. Barnes said that basically they are the same, except the TSX expands, slightly sooner than the XPB and has one less crimp groove.

So now, we have a .452" bullet, especially designed for a rifle, something those .458 guys complaint about, that the .452" .."is only a pistol bullet", kind of stuff. Of course those .458" True Rifle Bullets, that wont reliably expand much at SOCOM velocities, doesn't bother them at all..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Re: Barnes 275gr "TSX" Hog Hammer

Postby BillytheKid » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:36 pm

wildcatter wrote:So, There I was, up on the Klondike, when all of a sudden..

Ok, so maybe it's been a long time since I was on the Klondike.

So, I was just talking to Barnes about Reminton's Hog-Hammer's.

I wanted to know what are the differences in the TSX 275's and the XPB 275's.

With the TSX's being for rifles and the XPB's generally being for pistols. Barnes said that basically they are the same, except the TSX expands, slightly sooner than the XPB and has one less crimp groove.

So now, we have a .452" bullet, especially designed for a rifle, something those .458 guys complaint about, that the .452" .."is only a pistol bullet", kind of stuff. Of course those .458" True Rifle Bullets, that wont reliably expand much at SOCOM velocities, doesn't bother them at all..

..t

We need a "Thumb's Up" button.

Bill
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby longnkrnch » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:56 pm

I haven't seen any of the .452 TSX available for reloaders. Has anyone else? Anyone have loading data?
longnkrnch

Postby wildcatter » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:35 pm

longnkrnch wrote:I haven't seen any of the .452 TSX available for reloaders. Has anyone else? Anyone have loading data?

It might be some time before remy gets done with their run of TSX hog hammers, making components available for us.

In the mean time the 200gr & 275gr XPB's are, essentially the something. The 275gr EXP has one more crimp groove, than the 275gr TSX. The advantage being that we can drive them somewhat faster, with properly made -SAFE- HandLoads.

Now these, Pointed, Hollow-Points, look real good and might even have slightly more range available to the kill. But for my money the Barnes Busters are the real Hog-Hammers. But they are only available to the HandLoader and are not Factory Loaded yet.

The story for the Barnes Buster is that they are 325gr and sport .060" jackets (.008"-.010" for the more normal fodder), made with Hard-Lead, as opposed to soft lead innards, for the more normal fodder, and it's an FMJ-FP to boot (You may get the idea that these won't expand and you'd be right. These FMJ-FP disrupt more tissue than expanded bullets do and the .452" dia. is already bigger the the 30-375cals get after expansion and in NO-WAY penetrate more). And finally, were built to my personal requirements, which may be a reason why I like them so much, you be the Judge..

..t

Image - 200gr XPB
Image - 275gr XPB
Image - 325gr Barnes Buster
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby longnkrnch » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:27 pm

Anyone used the 200 grain XPB for deer or hogs? I'd be interested in loading ifo for it.
longnkrnch

Postby Hoot » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:39 pm

longnkrnch wrote:Anyone used the 200 grain XPB for deer or hogs? I'd be interested in loading ifo for it.

That's my go-to whitetail hunting round in my 450b. Lot of load information links Here. I hate picking lead fragments out of my venison. Makes me wonder how many I missed. :?

I'm starting to run into TinyPic images I uploaded that got deleted due to lack of folks accessing them from time to time. As I find them, if I have the original file backed up on a thumbdrive, I upload it to my ISP storage area and recreate a new link for them. C'mon folks, read the older threads. Save a lazy man a lot of work. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby greenhornet-1 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:07 am

I emailed barnes about the 125 grn bullet in the 30 RAR Hog Hammer round to see if us reloaders would be able purchase them and they told me that it's not likely going to be for sale. So, We need to find out if the same applies to this bullet. It may be only available in loaded ammo from Remington.
greenhornet-1

Postby wildcatter » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:30 pm

greenhornet-1 wrote:I emailed barnes about the 125 grn bullet in the 30 RAR Hog Hammer round to see if us reloaders would be able purchase them and they told me that it's not likely going to be for sale. So, We need to find out if the same applies to this bullet. It may be only available in loaded ammo from Remington.

I don't personally know for sure, but I will ask next week.

In the mean time Barnes makes several Bullets in the weight area you are talking about.

Barnes makes a 123gr TSX for the 7.62x39, a 110 & 130 in their Tipped-TSX (TTSX) all are candidates and prolly would make excellent, custom-rolled, Hog-Hammers. Not having allot of experience with the 30RAR, I'd say you'd just have to try'em, to see which will seat and still fit the mag and which one preforms to your expectations..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Return to Reloading for the 450b