450 Bushmaster Questions...Spring, Buffers.etc..

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

450 Bushmaster Questions...Spring, Buffers.etc..

Postby randyf » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:12 pm

I plan on ordering an upper in 450 Bushmaster.........some say just go ahead and use it on your lower,
I also read that some recommend to install a heavy duty spring and heavy buffer.

Just wondered what others are doing??
randyf

Re: 450 Bushmaster Questions...Spring, Buffers.etc..

Postby MudBug » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:09 pm

When I first got mine I just stuck it on a lower I use with another rifle. No special buffer or anything and it worked fine.

EDIT!

After thinking about this I think I may have been wrong about the lower I first used. It's the lower I run on my 3-gun rifle and I think it has either a 9mm buffer or a Heavy H2 buffer.

However, all of the documentation and advertising from Bushmaster say that a 450b upper with swap right on to your existing ar15 upper. In fact it's one of their selling points that you have one lower that can turn into different caliber guns.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby wildcatter » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:27 pm

MudBug wrote:
However, all of the documentation and advertising from Bushmaster say that a 450b upper with swap right on to your existing ar15 upper. In fact it's one of their selling points that you have one lower that can turn into different caliber guns.

10-4... I designed it this way and was the major pitch point to Bushy.."nothing but a barrel an opened up Standard Bolt and a slightly modified magazine follower on any standard mag and go for it"..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby talonxracer » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:57 pm

I used my 450 upper on my target lower with a enidine hydraulic buffer and that was pure torture. The slap/sting I felt in my cheek actually made my teeth hurt. LOL so dont try that damn hydraulic buffer.......

When I built the dedicated LCW lower for the 450, I used a Wolf high power buffer spring with a MGI rate reducer in a rifle length tube with a ACE skeleton stock with thick recoil pad. This combo with the JP tactical comp that I installed makes for a very easy recoil and I havnt had any issues with FTL/FTF's.
talonxracer

Postby MudBug » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:15 pm

Why fuss with all those funky buffers? Even with a standard buffer and no recoil pad I didn't find the recoil punishing, more of a big, slow push.

Yes I built a dedicated lower with a recoil pad, but that's just cuz I could, not because I was dying without it.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby thatguy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:50 pm

I am using a CAA 6 pos collapsible stock and I added a limbsaver slip on recoil pad.. Even shooting off of a sandbag the recoil/kick was not bad at all - i bet it will be a lot LESS since my body will take more of the recoil while hunting.

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby JCoop » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:15 pm

BFI says that the recoil is like a 20 guage. I can shoot 3 or 4 or 5 cycles of 20 ga. skeet (25rds each) and not really feel anything negative. Is the 450 really like that? If so, it's going to be a pure pleasure to shoot.
JCoop

Postby bushmeister » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:48 pm

The recoil is IMO a little more than a 20 ga, but definitely less than a 12. I live down south where we don't wear much for shirts, and that checkered buttplate bothered me more than anything, but only after shooting 20 rounds or so. I now have a limbsaver and can shoot much more than I can afford without even noticing the recoil.
bushmeister

Postby wildcatter » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:19 pm

I hope the slip-on pad works for the adjustable stock as those things can be killers and you guys in the South are right, we Yankees, usually have multi-layers of clothing going on. BUT, you guys that are concerned about recoil, well, you really need to check out GunNuts cure, I think he got it happening..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby talonxracer » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:23 pm

MudBug wrote:Why fuss with all those funky buffers? Even with a standard buffer and no recoil pad I didn't find the recoil punishing, more of a big, slow push.

Yes I built a dedicated lower with a recoil pad, but that's just cuz I could, not because I was dying without it.

The enidine incident was not planned, forgot that buffer was even in the tube, simply put the 450 upper on and sent some rounds downrange. But I did swap in the MGI on the new lower for one reason only, not that the recoil was punishing (about like my sweet16) but rather to keep the crosshairs in the kill zone.
talonxracer

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles