Remmy Accutip Owners Take Heart

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Remmy Accutip Owners Take Heart

Postby Hoot » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:16 pm

I know my past reports on my experience with the Remmington 260gr Accutips left a lot of folks who bought them feeling a little down over their prospects for accuracy.

Good News! If you have a Hornady die set, your salvation lies in the taper crimp die. If you don't, find someone nearby who does or buy just the that die.

After the results from the two stab crimps, I had postulated that perhaps the taper crimp, applied over the factory crimp might be the way to go. I was more right than i imagined I would be. I applied a .474 taper crimp over the factory crimp on five cartridges. Why .474 you ask? Remember from the dissection thread, the front half of the bullet is narrower than the rear half that actually seats inside the case? You need to lay on more crimp than you might normally do on a straight sided bullet to reach the narrower walls. As an added experiment, I crimped another 5 using the resizer die minus the decapper. That's not a new revelation, as I've tried that in the past. It applies a more gradual taper crimp than the actual taper crimp die. That allowed me to catch some of the wider part of the bullet as well. While it resulted in an even better SD, it did not do as well on accuracy as the regular taper crimp die.

Here's the results:

You'll have to reference my previous thread to compare groups, but here's the resultant groups in the bottom two sections of this target:

As you can see, not only are the velocities slightly higher than the factory crimp, but the velocities don't vary as much and the left group demonstrates considerable improvement in accuracy. The resizer die had about the same accuracy as the factory crimps though. Oh well, some times you have to go out on a limb to find a truffle and some times it doesn't pan out. Get those presses going. Maybe even lay on a little tighter than .474 for good measure. Be reasonable though. I had no excessive pressure indications.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: Remmy Accutip Owners Take Heart

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:43 pm

Damn good work, son! I hope someone at Big Green is reading this forum occasionally...they might learn something useful from the Hootster :D

That lower left group is way good enough for any shootin' I'll ever need to do with the Remmy 260s...like your situation in MN, a 100-yard shot in my neck of the woods is a fer piece...

Thanks for your hard work on this (and lots of other subjects) and passing it along to the rest of the forum!!!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Return to Reloading for the 450b