Hornady factory primers?

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Hornady factory primers?

Postby Hoot » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:03 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:I also just noticed another surplus powder WC820 it says it's good for .410 and 30 carbine loads. It's also $100 for an 8# keg. What do we know about this powder?

Bartletts says you can use H110 load data interchangeably with WC820, which places it between Lil Gun and W296. Should work. Tim has probably tried the most different powders of all of us. Perhaps he has tried it.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby pitted bore » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:33 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:They were asking $148 for it.

$148 for an 8-lb keg is more than the price of 296.

Powder Valley is selling 296 for $127.50 for an 8-lb can. (Haz Mat and shipping on top of this price, of course.)
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby pitted bore » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:53 pm

Hoot wrote:Bartletts says you can use H110 load data interchangeably with WC820, which places it between Lil Gun and W296. Should work. Tim has probably tried the most different powders of all of us. Perhaps he has tried it.

Hoot-
H-110 and 296 are the same powder, according to Hodgdon. They come out of the same machine, get put into Win or Hodgdon cans.

The differences the loading manuals show are between H-110 and 296 are attributable to the variation between lots of the same powder.

--Bob
pitted bore

Postby wildcatter » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:09 pm

FYI.. h110/296 are the same powders, according to the sales sheets, and we know older lots of either can very significantly from the newer lots.

With that in mind, I have a little something to report, that needs to be assimilated, by all.

This week I was working up some Barnes 275gr XPB's fast-movers, using an older lot of 296 (like maybe 15 years old, BTW, I've gotten where I use a Sharpie to mark the can, when I bought that lot), all was going very well indeed. I left the powder in the Powder Measurer and the can of 296 open, something you should never do, just bad form (ok stupid). We had a big storm front come through and rained, pretty much, for two days. When I got back to the program, on Thursday, I saw the open can and wondered if the powder had absorbed much, from the humidity? I started out with the known great loads I had worked up before the stand-down. Surprisingly, the known great load popped a primer, with .025" case head expansion, the case head did not separate, but the blown primer, did lodge between the lugs of the bolt and extension. I like to have never gotten the barrel off, but did so in about an hour and a half of embarrassed work. Talk about Swipes?? The case head area swagged to look like it had become a belted magnum.

So, we're reevaluating and trying to learn the lessons. Looks like I mentioned some already, keep your powder dry and keep the different lots separate, don't do stupid things and then when you do and you will, don't blame anyone but yourself for the incident and for goodness sake, don't compound the stupidity by calling a Lawyer?

The weapon appears to be unharmed and it wont be until Monday before the serious assessments commence..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BD1 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:35 am

Most lots of WC820 available these days burn closer to AA#9 than H110. Going price for 297 is about $90/8lb

I've put some general info on surplus powders on the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5049
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:45 pm

High humidity during reloading is a real problem here in SE Texas. I "air condition" my garage by leaving the kitchen door into the garage open with a fan in the doorway. I also only do this when the wife is out somewhere. I keep the powder can and powder measure closed, except when filling the measure. I have even considered hanging a little bag of dessicant in the powder measure above the powder. Glad to know these precautions are worthwhile.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b