Parker bullets sample pack arrived.

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Parker bullets sample pack arrived.

Postby Stealthshooter » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Well here is a pic with the Parker bullets I received today. I had to shorten the case with the Hunter/Match but I still think it would be fun to play with.

Left to right
275 grain Ballistic Extreme
300 grain Hydra-Con
300 grain Hunter/Match

Stealthshooter

Re: Parker bullets sample pack arrived.

Postby Hoot » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:55 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:Well here is a pic with the Parker bullets I received today. I had to shorten the case with the Hunter/Match but I still think it would be fun to play with.

Left to right
300 grain Hydra-Con
300 grain Hunter/Match

Call me overly cautious, but I would not shoot that Hunter/Match in my 450b. It's going to have a running start and then, very possibly, nick the chamber lip on one side or another, get canted and jam. On the worst side, it could possibly cause a dangerous pressure spike. On the best side, it could pass through and go downrange cockeyed. Forget what you can get away with using shorter versions of rimmed cartridges. The chamber is not the same. If I had the green light to do that with someone else' gun, I'd definitely clamp it in a lead sled or other kind of vise and touch it off with a long string on the trigger.

Having the ogive below the case mouth is a problem that haunts some applications having high BC bullets like the Scenar or Scirocco etc, or heavy, long bullets in AR15 magazines that limit the COL. Some folks do it and get away with it. Often, it's only a couple of hundredths of an inch and the case is not cut down, but I still shy away from doing it.

That is not the case in the Hunter/Match example in the picture and it looks like an accident looking for a place to happen assuming you can get it to feed reliably.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby gunnut » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:08 pm

I don't think the 3rd, hunter/match will fire. The 450B head spaces off the case mouth. It might if the extractor holds it against a sensitive primer.
gunnut

Postby Stealthshooter » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:56 pm

I'm not gunna do much with the Hunter/Match maybe put it on a bullet board. The other two however I think show some promise!! I need to find out what the BC's are on those but I'm thinking the Ballistic extreme is going to have a decent BC for a 275 grain bullet.
Stealthshooter

Postby Stealthshooter » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:05 pm

Left to right

275 grain Hydra-Con
300 grain Hydra-Con
300 grain Hunter/Match
325 grain Hunter/Match

Stealthshooter

Postby Hoot » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:03 pm

They are all quite nice looking. The Hydra-Cons and the Ballistic Supreme look do-able in the 450b. At some point, you have to ask yourself how much would this particular caliber, with it's range capabilities, benefit from Scenar type bullets like the Hunter/Match ones and to a lesser extent, the Ballistic Supreme. In those weights, the 450b only has so much velocity to bring to the ballistic table. To be honest, I'm at a loss to think of any .452 caliber cartridge out there that can benefit substantially from such advanced bullets as those Hunter/Match ones. I suppose in a match, where you load single shots by hand, all of them could be put to use. They sure will make interesting bullet board examples though and I salute Parker for coming up with the process to make them.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:38 am

that 275gr BE is my bullet of choice in the smokeless ML's, haven't had a chance to try his match ones yet.
Al in Mi

Postby Stealthshooter » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:14 am

Hoot wrote:They are all quite nice looking. The Hydra-Cons and the Ballistic Supreme look do-able in the 450b. At some point, you have to ask yourself how much would this particular caliber, with it's range capabilities, benefit from Scenar type bullets like the Hunter/Match ones and to a lesser extent, the Ballistic Supreme. In those weights, the 450b only has so much velocity to bring to the ballistic table. To be honest, I'm at a loss to think of any .452 caliber cartridge out there that can benefit substantially from such advanced bullets as those Hunter/Match ones. I suppose in a match, where you load single shots by hand, all of them could be put to use. They sure will make interesting bullet board examples though and I salute Parker for coming up with the process to make them.

Hoot

They were designed specifically for muzzle loading.
Stealthshooter

Postby Stealthshooter » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:15 am

Al in Mi wrote:that 275gr BE is my bullet of choice in the smokeless ML's, haven't had a chance to try his match ones yet.

How well does the bullet stay together after impact?
Stealthshooter

Postby Siringo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:01 am

In the muzzle loading circles -- the maker of these bullets GREAT exaggerates the BC. So don't be surprised if they do not perform as advertized.

I would be very interested though in your results with the 275 gr. 35 grains of LG, WSR Primer and see what happens!!!!
Siringo

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b