Need help locating some Norma powder

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Need help locating some Norma powder

Postby Stealthshooter » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:32 pm

Hey guys. I'm dead set on trying Norma 200 for my 450 loads but I'm having a heck of a time finding any locally. Graff's has it in stock but I'm not wanting to spend $50 for them to ship me one pound and I'm also not wanting to buy eight pounds of it just in case it doesn't do what I'm wanting it to. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks
Kris
Stealthshooter

Re: Need help locating some Norma powder

Postby wildcatter » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:14 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:Hey guys. I'm dead set on trying Norma 200 for my 450 loads but I'm having a heck of a time finding any locally. Graff's has it in stock but I'm not wanting to spend $50 for them to ship me one pound and I'm also not wanting to buy eight pounds of it just in case it doesn't do what I'm wanting it to. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks
Kris

Kris,

This is the very problem of the off-shore powders, bullet, and reloading components in general, they cost too much, are hard to get, and usually, there are domestic components that are the equal or better. Even if N200 gives you an edge, the critters won't know the difference, in most scenarios and with shipping, it'll be 2x,3x,4x, $$$, or more to get it to your door.

Don't get me wrong, we are Americans, and don't care what others might like, we like what we want, if for no other reason than just because. But for other new guys, let's do a little comparative exercise.

What is the load you are looking at, using the n200 and what are it's attributes (speed, energy, bullet weight, accuracy, knock-down-ability, all of the above, or ??) that is most attractive to you, be specific (what bullet and expected speeds. I forget, what barrel length did you get?), and we'll do this as an instructive eye opener..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Stealthshooter » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:48 pm

I'm looking to use the Barnes Original 300 grain spire point it has a BC of .289 rohk ran the numbers for me on QL and Norma 200 gave the best numbers next to Win 296. All the talk on here about Win 296 being hard to light put me on the search for something that would get similar numbers and be easier to deal with at cooler temps. I can't remember the exact velocities.

Almost forgot I have a 20" barrel :mrgreen:
Stealthshooter

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:52 pm

I am totally the last guy in here to give suggestions and I may very well be all wet on this suggestion, but why not just use some CCI small rifle Magnum primers with the 296?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Stealthshooter » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:30 pm

I ended up getting 296 and some Rem 7 1/2 primers. The search for Norma 200 still goes on but in the mean time It's time to get this baby shooting!!
Stealthshooter

Postby BD1 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:39 am

The way to deal with Grafs is to order all the primers and additional powder you need in a single order from Grafs as they will ship up to 50 lb of mixed hazmat, (except BP), in a single box for a single hazmat. Spread that shipping and hazmat over as wide a range as possible. A person can never own too many primers :)
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Stealthshooter » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:15 am

BD1 wrote:The way to deal with Grafs is to order all the primers and additional powder you need in a single order from Grafs as they will ship up to 50 lb of mixed hazmat, (except BP), in a single box for a single hazmat. Spread that shipping and hazmat over as wide a range as possible. A person can never own too many primers :)
BD

Well dang! I just got some primers locally. Next time I'll do just that!! Thanks for the heads up!
Stealthshooter

Postby Hoot » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:28 pm

Some day, I'll understand why you can ship a case of loaded ammunition without a hazmat fee, but if you pull down just one of those cartridges and ship the discreet components in a box, you do. Seems to me that it is capable of causing greater bodily harm as a loaded round if it caught on fire. :roll:

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:41 pm

Stealthshooter wrote:I ended up getting 296 and some Rem 7 1/2 primers. The search for Norma 200 still goes on but in the mean time It's time to get this baby shooting!!

Ok, Great, on the 296. I burn allot of it. Just remember, that you can under-load it, causing tons of grief..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Return to Reloading for the 450b