Range Report: Remington Accutips (Final)

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Range Report: Remington Accutips (Final)

Postby Hoot » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:36 pm

BillytheKid wrote:Wow, just, wow....

I purchased several boxes of the Remington Accutip ammo because of the promised accutip accuracy.

I haven't shot any yet, but I must say that I am disappointed in Hoot's results.

Bill

Think positive Bill. Life is full of contradictions. Positive thinking produces better groups. If you get similar results though, there is some comfort in knowing you're not alone.

Hoot

Edit: I may try some creative crimping for those members who not only have some of these, but also a set of 450b dies. Those bullets look like golden sabers, which I believe have a cannelure. It might buy back enough performance to make them worthwhile. What say folks? Do many of you also have dies?
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BD1 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:13 pm

I bought and tested 4 boxes of the remmy ammo when it first became available. I hesitated to post the results based on advice from my mother, " if you don't have anything good to say...." I'm just happy that another major brand is in the .450Biz. Let's leave it at that, and hope they improve the product.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:54 pm

Remmy was also SUPPOSED to be producing a 250gr PSP Core-Lokt version at 2200fps...never happened. Looks like they decided to produce the wrong load, of the two. Why am I not surprised? Emailed them, politely, a couple of times about this version but got no response of any kind. Again, I am not surprised. This seems to be official Freedom Group policy. I'm sure Hornady doesn't mind.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby MCMCorp » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:21 pm

nice report hoot. I have a set of dies and just got my first press a lock n load when i get it all set up i will have to try some creative crimping. on a side note hoot those 225gr with your favorite load would be great.
MCMCorp

Postby Colohunter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:28 pm

Thanks for the report Hoot, I haven't been around in a while and it is good to see you are still putting out useful information for the rest of us.
Colohunter

Postby Adrian8 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:06 am

I too have sworn off Rem ammo. I had .22 LR, "Golden Bullet" ammo that would not make it out of the barrel of my Ruger pistol, which I was lucky to detect, and some of their .45 ACP brass will will not resize to hold a bullet tight. I discard all Rem. .45 brass.
Adrian8

Postby Hoot » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:13 am

Adrian8 wrote:I too have sworn off Rem ammo. I had .22 LR, "Golden Bullet" ammo that would not make it out of the barrel of my Ruger pistol, which I was lucky to detect, and some of their .45 ACP brass will will not resize to hold a bullet tight. I discard all Rem. .45 brass.

I'm starting to get that feeling as well. I'm processing some 30-06 range pickups to load up deer season rounds for my Dad and a fellow I work with. Most were Federal, either from Fusions and Power Shoks. There was a box worth of Winchester and a box worth of R-P. Four of the R-Ps had splits from the mouth down to the base of the shoulder. They, along with the other non-split R-P's went into my scrap brass, syrup bucket. Image

I did reload up a box worth of the Remmy Accutip spent brass with Hornady FTX 225s and 38gr Lil Gun for a member who sent me a box for my tests. The spent brass did not look any worse than my Hornady 1-fired 450b brass and exhibited typical neck tension for this caliber. I haven't heard back from him if he got to shoot any though.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:23 am

Went to the range yesterday and shoot both Hornady and Remington Factory Loads. I got consistently good groups with the Hornady (50 yds, sorry, the "good" benches on the 100 yd range were taken, Wednesday morning and it was a big range). I got some good groups with the Remington, but about half the time there were several flyers. Here are some targets, side by side. Hornady is on the left and Remington on the right. Each group is five rounds.

Below that are the chrono stats from a string of each.
Attachments
20111221_Hornady_vs_Remington Small.jpg
Side by side targets - Hornady on the left; Remington on the Right.
20111221_Hornady_vs_Remington Small.jpg (65.01 KiB) Viewed 12571 times
20111221_Hornady_vs_Remington Chart.jpg
Stats - Remington vs Hornady
20111221_Hornady_vs_Remington Chart.jpg (43.37 KiB) Viewed 12571 times
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:16 am

Thanks Jim. Great info!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:57 pm

Here are some more stats on Remington ammo. I shot a box of the 260 gr AccuTips and chrono'd them against the Hornady 250 gr FTX. As before, the Hornady rounds came in with higher velocities with a little wider spread between highest and lowest and a slightly larger standard deviation.

I also include photos of three targets, one Remington and two Hornady, from which the chrono results came. Not making any great claims about my marksmanship (50 yards, no wind, 80 degrees, about 50 foot altitude), but just to show that both factory loads gave comparable results as far as accuracy goes.
Attachments
03232012 Rem vs Horn.jpg
Chronograph Comparison of Remington and Hornady Factor 450 BM Ammo
03232012 Rem vs Horn.jpg (50.08 KiB) Viewed 12289 times
20120323 Hornady Factory Load 01 small.jpg
Hornady Factory Load at 50 yards
20120323 Hornady Factory Load 01 small.jpg (96.23 KiB) Viewed 12289 times
20120323 Hornady Factory Load 02 small.jpg
Second example of Hornady Factory Load at 50 yards
20120323 Hornady Factory Load 02 small.jpg (110.62 KiB) Viewed 12289 times
20120323_Remington Factory Loads small.jpg
Remington Factory Load at 50 yards