Range Report: Remington Accutips (Final)

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Range Report: Remington Accutips (Final)

Postby Hoot » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:52 am

It's been a while since I tried the Accutips. Your results seem to imply that whatever their problem was, perhaps they have taken the steps necessary to rectify it.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:56 am

Hoot wrote:It's been a while since I tried the Accutips. Your results seem to imply that whatever their problem was, perhaps they have taken the steps necessary to rectify it.

Hoot

Not necessarily. The two boxes I shot (results posted on December 22, 2011 and March 25, 2012) were purchased at the same time. Variability probably rests with the shooter. The one consistent result was the higher velocities of the Hornady versus the Remington. Could this be attributable to the lighter weight of the Hornady rounds? Someone may know the answer to this and whether or not the magnitude of the difference is accounted for by the 10 gr difference.

I may run the two weights and ballistic coefficients on the Hornady ballistic calculator (and the Remington calculator - I haven't used it yet, but I assume there is one) to see what the results show. I am also wondering if the weight vs velocity trade-off results in the same stopping power and what the change in trajectory will be? All this will be theoretical, of course.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:59 am

Jim in Houston wrote:
Hoot wrote:It's been a while since I tried the Accutips. Your results seem to imply that whatever their problem was, perhaps they have taken the steps necessary to rectify it.

Hoot

Not necessarily. The two boxes I shot (results posted on December 22, 2011 and March 25, 2012) were purchased at the same time. Variability probably rests with the shooter. The one consistent result was the higher velocities of the Hornady versus the Remington. Could this be attributable to the lighter weight of the Hornady rounds? Someone may know the answer to this and whether or not the magnitude of the difference is accounted for by the 10 gr difference.

I may run the two weights and ballistic coefficients on the Hornady ballistic calculator (and the Remington calculator - I haven't used it yet, but I assume there is one) to see what the results show. I am also wondering if the weight vs velocity trade-off results in the same stopping power and what the change in trajectory will be? All this will be theoretical, of course.

I'd wager they bullet portion of the two, minus the ballistic tip are probably the same weight. The Remington ballistic tio as you know is huge compared to the Hornady one. Still, they don't discard them, so weight is weight. I imagine the 10gr along with the looser neck tension add up to account for the difference in velocity.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:25 pm

As soon as I pay my gun club range dues (Oooops!) I'm going to try a couple boxes of Rem greenies that I've recrimped to 0.475"...I'll run them over the chrony and fire for accuracy. Will post results, if I can get my kids to show me how to post pics here... ;)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby bushmeister » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:39 am

Jim in Houston wrote: The one consistent result was the higher velocities of the Hornady versus the Remington. Could this be attributable to the lighter weight of the Hornady rounds?

Another possibility is the difference in the legal departments of the two corporations ;)
bushmeister

Postby gmstack » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:16 am

I tried a box of these for my ruger american rifle and their accuracy was terrible. The hornady 250 ftx is very accurate.
gmstack

Postby Papi » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:44 pm

A great job Hoot
Papi

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b