Upcoming Range Report: Remington Accutips

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Upcoming Range Report: Remington Accutips

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:45 am

Yawl got me thinking.... If buffers and springs can influence bullet hop, has Gunnut mentioned anything about having any bullet hop with his Recoil-less A2-A1 stocks with the recoil reduction modules installed?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Cely1932 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:04 pm

Hoot wrote:I just got up after having slept a few hours, since I have to go in on Dog Watch to baby sit a critical piece of equipment that crashed about the time I got home this afternoon. That sometimes happens when you work in Public Safety.

Priorities being what they are, using the taper crimp, I adjusted it way down until it yielded a piece of brass with the mouth at .460, checking every .010 in reduction and at .460, it still catches the chamber lip with the utmost authority. No surprise considering what the throat would have to be for a .452 bullet. Is it my recollection, or why didn't this occur to anyone else before now? I realize as I said earlier, that you obviously can only crimp down a certain amount without damaging the bullet. When I think about all the times I could have laid a deeper crimp into a cannelure (not driving band groove) at the mouth, but stopped at .475 for no other reason than it being conventional wisdom... :roll:

I may yet be able to gain more complete combustion from Lil Gun with light bullets. This revelation has actually made my day, or night.

Got a bag of goodies loaded to take in with me to pass the time. BCGs that need the carbon carefully scraped. Brass that needs their flash holes normalized. Mouths that get the #0000 steel wool spin cycle. A range report that needs images digitized for the .300 OSSM, y'know, busy work. But then again, this electronic monster at the 911 Dispatch Center that I'm baby sitting might wake up crabby and occupy the entire night.

At worst, I get off a few hours before the local range opens, with the day off, on a cool morning and the dew point fell like 20+ degrees today. It's supposed to be lower again tomorrow morning. So it won't be terribly muggy and if I'm not draggin' butt, I'll come home, change, load the jugs and equipment and have it all to myself test these Remmy's. [ http://cdn.calguns.net/calguns.net/calgunforum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif ]

Gotta hit the shower...

Hoot

I know we're getting of-topic here, sorry. I laid that taper crimp into the cannelure so as not to deform the bullet. I actually think I can go tighter than .470" w/o much, if any, bullet deformation. We'll see how much the bullet moves after a heavier buffer is installed and go from there. If the buffer looks promising, I'll do your carrier weight mod. and return to a stock buffer.

Craig
Cely1932

Postby Hoot » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:16 pm

The final report is up here.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jeepejeep » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:41 pm

Looks like I'll stick to my handloads with Hornadys or Hornady factory stuff. Thanks, Hoot!
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Previous

Return to Reloading for the 450b