Chronographing Remington & Hornady Ammo

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Chronographing Remington & Hornady Ammo

Postby pitted bore » Sun May 15, 2011 10:02 pm

There doesn't seem to be an exactly proper forum for posting the following. I haven't seen any other threads with Remington velocity reports, so I can't add to them. I'll put it here and hope the AR15 persons find it.

Two boxes of the new Remington ammo arrived earlier this week from Midway, thanks to go2boats posting of the product number. The two boxes were from different lots. The one I took to the range is Lot #L07_NC16R.

The Pact chrono screen center was set about nine feet from the muzzle. The gun was the new bolt gun described in other posts; barrel was 26",1:24" twist, 0.451" nominal groove diameter. Chambering was SAAMI-spec 450 Bushmaster. Temperature was about 55 degrees F. The wind was blowing from 12 o'clock at about 20-25 mph, and the rate of fire was sufficiently slow so that the barrel was never really more than about body temperature.

The five rounds of Remington ammo gave these velocities (fps) in the order fired: 2028, 2122, 2081, 2049, 2050. Ave=2066; sd=36.6
Data for the second round is real. There was no obvious reason why the value should not be included in the data set. The target showed a similar anomaly for that round (below). If you want to give Remington the benefit of a doubt and toss it out, then Ave=2052, sd=21.8.

Five rounds of Hornady factory ammo, lot #3080494, gave these velocities: 2216, 2233, 2256, 2249, 2231. Ave=2237; sd=15.8

The five Remington rounds went into a 2-1/4" group. The second round was a flier. Neglecting it brings the group size to 1" for four shots.
Four of the Hornady rounds were shot for group, and went into 1". The fifth round was intentionally shot on another target.

Just as a side note, the first five rounds were handloads with new Hornady cases, CCI No. 41 primers, Hornady 250 gr FTX bullets, with an increasing charge of Lil'Gun, 35-39 gr in increments of 1 grain: 2299, 2352, 2352, 2407, 2382 fps. (These data are given for information, not as any recommendation.

I've likely omitted important information, and I'll try to provide it if asked.

--Bob
pitted bore

Re: Chronographing Remington & Hornady Ammo

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun May 15, 2011 11:37 pm

Great info!
Are you gonna post pics of the groups?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Siringo » Mon May 16, 2011 7:08 am

Great post BD. About time someone posted results of the Remington Ammo. I was starting to believe that most were just giving lip service to actually purchasing it.

So your barrel is 26"? In my 16" barrel, my Hornady factory velocities are 200 feet per second less than yours (see load data section). The only Remington ammo I shot was pulled bullets from shotgun ammo, loaded with LG. I got velocities of 2200+ fps. If the Remington ammo drops to 1800 fps in a 16 inch -- that would be disappointing.
Siringo

Postby Jim in Houston » Mon May 16, 2011 8:54 am

It would be good for someone to post velocities for the stock 16" and 20" barrels, which most of us are probably shooting, with factory ammo. I may consider buying a chrono, now that I am reloading, so that I can check the velocities also.

BTW, after my recent reloading experience (my first), it looks to be, from weighing my finished bullets against Hornady factory loads, that Hornady is loading to the top of the powder weight spec in their handbook (8th edition).
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby BD1 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:15 am

I have a 16" rifle, a chrony and some of the Remmy ammo on hand. Unfortunately I worked through last weekend. I'm hoping for some range time this coming weekend.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Siringo » Mon May 16, 2011 4:10 pm

Siringo wrote:Great post BD. About time someone posted results of the Remington Ammo. I was starting to believe that most were just giving lip service to actually purchasing it.

So your barrel is 26"? In my 16" barrel, my Hornady factory velocities are 200 feet per second less than yours (see load data section). The only Remington ammo I shot was pulled bullets from shotgun ammo, loaded with LG. I got velocities of 2200+ fps. If the Remington ammo drops to 1800 fps in a 16 inch -- that would be disappointing.

Whoops! Meant Pitted Bore!
Siringo

Postby wildcatter » Mon May 16, 2011 10:45 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:It would be good for someone to post velocities for the stock 16" and 20" barrels, which most of us are probably shooting, with factory ammo. I may consider buying a chrono, now that I am reloading, so that I can check the velocities also.

BTW, after my recent reloading experience (my first), it looks to be, from weighing my finished bullets against Hornady factory loads, that Hornady is loading to the top of the powder weight spec in their handbook (8th edition).

FYI, those Hornady loads are made with WW-297, slightly slower than WW-296.

I see 297 on the net for $89/8lb, pretty good stuff too, at that price..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue May 17, 2011 8:00 am

Siringo wrote:Great post BD. About time someone posted results of the Remington Ammo. I was starting to believe that most were just giving lip service to actually purchasing it.

That's interesting that the round will still be accerlating at 26 inches. And that also justifies what WC says about getting better FPS, ( around 128 fps) better out or Bushy 20" rifles.
So Tim, Call Bushmaster and tell them we are all itching to have a 26" Extended range upper. Flute the barrel and leave off the Fake Gas Block. Install a Ross Brake and they can call it the Thumper Custom. Big Smiles! Biiiig Smiles!!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby pitted bore » Tue May 17, 2011 10:24 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Are you gonna post pics of the groups?

TSD-
Attached below are photos of the groups, representing shots 11-15 (Remington) and 17-20 (Hornady) from the rifle. As noted above the flier in the Remington group occurred with a round that showed a markedly higher velocity than the other four.

I have not used the rifle enough to learn much about it, altho it shows promise. I've got to do a fair amount of loading and familiarization work to get it close to the performance of a good AR.
--Bob
Attachments
group2.jpg
Remington & Hornady Factory Ammo
group2.jpg (60.79 KiB) Viewed 16188 times
pitted bore

Postby pitted bore » Tue May 17, 2011 10:44 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:That's interesting that the round will still be accerlating at 26 inches.

TSD-
In the 450 Bushmaster, it would require an unusually long barrel to produce a drop in velocities obtained with normal barrel lengths.

In the 22 LR rimfire, a very low pressure round, the max velocity is reached with a barrel length of about 16-20 inches. After that length, because of bore-bullet friction, muzzle velocity will decline as barrel length increases. With most centerfire rounds, pressures remain high enough to counteract bore friction, and to produce increased velocity with any practical barrel length.
--Bob
pitted bore

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b