Dies for 450

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: Dies for 450

Postby Hoot » Mon May 09, 2011 4:21 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:...snip...
Have you or anyone else tried Simple Green?
Just wondering about how brass would react to it.

Next to low odor mineral spirits, Simple Green is my second favorite degreaser in my modest shop. I buy it by the gallon from SAM's club.
Fine product. Reminds me of Shaklee Basic H, but watered down and has something like a sarsaparilla scent. Yeah I went to those parties too. Great way to meet babes off their guard. ;)
Speaking of SAMs Club, they have an excellent natural alternative to Dawn called "Eco-Responsible Dish Soap". I'm not tree hugger, but the stuff is phenomenal. Concentrated and doesn't have a girlie scent. Cheap too. A gallon runs like $10 and for my household, it lasts a year, no lie.
Aside from those, gimme gool ole liver dissolving methylene chloride. Getting harder to find these days. It's the main ingredient in non-caustic paint stripper. Zero odor and definitely on the wear gloves and use outdoors or under a vent hood list, but boy does it cut the cheese!.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Jeepejeep » Mon May 09, 2011 7:28 am

Why go through all that trouble if you have a tumbler? Tumble for 2 hours or so and you're good to go, lube is gone.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon May 09, 2011 7:47 am

I'm gonna tell you guys a secret. It's one of my secret weapons that I use during Bow season when it's still warm and the Louisiana State Bug, (mosquitoes), are on the prod. Basic H used full strength can be used as a repellant. It also repels chiggers and ticks. WITH NO ODOR. And you can apply it directly to your "naughty bits" with no Satans Jock Strap side effects. Put a drop about the size of a dime in your hand and apply where ever. Just keep it away from your forehead and eyes. And with no odor, it won't spook game. And cleanup after a days hunt is a breeze!
There ya go.
No charge.
Drive safe.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby pitted bore » Mon May 09, 2011 2:11 pm

Hoot on Tue May 03, 2011 9:59 am wrote:My question to Dave would be what kind of crimp is built into the seating die?

Hoot and any other interested persons:

I sent an email to Dave at ch4d.com, asking whether the CH4D seating die for the 450 Bushmaster cartridge has a crimping shoulder.

Dave responded very promptly as follows:
Dave of CH4D on 07 May 2011 wrote: It is a taper crimp but if you don't want to crimp at all you only need to back the die up in the press a turn & readjust the seat stem. The guys shooting cast bullets wanted some form of crimp so they could bring the mouth back straight after belling it slightly to start the cast bullets.

From this reply, it would appear that the CH4D seating die incorporates a taper crimp, which is appropriate for the 450B cartridge that headspaces on the case mouth.

CH4D earns a provisional "Rah!" If any forum members obtain a CH4D seating die for the 450B, it would be helpful if they could report what is the appearance of that die's innards.

Thanks.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby wildcatter » Mon May 09, 2011 5:46 pm

Hoot wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:...snip...
Have you or anyone else tried Simple Green?
Just wondering about how brass would react to it.

Next to low odor mineral spirits, Simple Green is my second favorite degreaser in my modest shop. I buy it by the gallon from SAM's club.
Fine product. Reminds me of Shaklee Basic H, but watered down and has something like a sarsaparilla scent. Yeah I went to those parties too. Great way to meet babes off their guard. ;)
Speaking of SAMs Club, they have an excellent natural alternative to Dawn called "Eco-Responsible Dish Soap". I'm not tree hugger, but the stuff is phenomenal. Concentrated and doesn't have a girlie scent. Cheap too. A gallon runs like $10 and for my household, it lasts a year, no lie.
Aside from those, gimme gool ole liver dissolving methylene chloride. Getting harder to find these days. It's the main ingredient in non-caustic paint stripper. Zero odor and definitely on the wear gloves and use outdoors or under a vent hood list, but boy does it cut the cheese!.

Hoot

Simple Green, Humm and lemon juice, couple of thousand pieces of brass, and the wife's clothes washer!! I think Hoots onto something and when the wife screams, I'll just blame him, wink..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BillytheKid » Mon May 09, 2011 6:04 pm

A thousand pieces of brass in the washer?

Don't open the lid during the "spin cycle" !

LOL
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby wildcatter » Mon May 09, 2011 7:20 pm

BillytheKid wrote:A thousand pieces of brass in the washer?

Don't open the lid during the "spin cycle" !

LOL

If'n I do open the lid, I best bee ah see'n you in dare, ah holler'n, WEEEEEE!!!..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon May 09, 2011 8:05 pm

Where is the Air Marshal? I just realized this thread been hijacked.
Sorry 1377thumper.
You just can't take us anywhere. And NEVER stroll through the womens
clothing department at Walmart with us tagging along. Bras make great
double barrel sock sling shots and black bras make great Mickey Mouse ears.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Tue May 10, 2011 8:01 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Where is the Air Marshal? I just realized this thread been hijacked.
Sorry 1377thumper.
You just can't take us anywhere. And NEVER stroll through the womens
clothing department at Walmart with us tagging along. Bras make great
double barrel sock sling shots and black bras make great Mickey Mouse ears.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup, my fault, it's one of my better talents, that are sometimes more inappropriate than others..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby BD1 » Wed May 11, 2011 11:36 am

A couple of notes about case cleaning:

IMHO the primary cause of lead poisoning particular to shooters is the inhalation of lead styphnate dust from fired primers. The two main sources of this exposure are shooting indoors, and the dust from your brass tumbler. You can avoid the first source of exposure by staying out of indoor ranges as much as possible. You can largely avoid the second source by washing your brass. Luckily lead styphnate is readily dissolved and washing the brass in soap and water is quick and easy. I clean brass on a large scale using a pair of five gallon pails, one of which is drilled full of holes. I dump the brass in the watertight bucket, fill it with hot water and a little simple green and let it sit an hour, stirring with a broom handle occasionally, then I dump it in the bucket full of holes and rinse it, and back in the good bucket for some rinse water and then drain it and spread it on a screen frame to dry in the sun. I do about 5,000 .45 acp cases at a time like this. Smaller batches I shake in a used plastic Utzes pretzel container. In the winter I dry it in the oven on the lowest setting.

If you leave mixed brass and nickle cases in a simple green solution over night you can get psychedelic colors on your brass from the slight electrolytic reaction between the brass and the nickle. Looks kinda like color case hardening gone wild.

After washing, the handgun brass gets tumbled a little in corn cob grit and goes right into the carbide dies. Rifle cases get lubed, decapped and sized, and then tumbled before I reload them.

By using this procedure, and staying out of indoor ranges, I have been able to keep my blood lead level in the single digits despite casting and shooting several hundred pounds of lead per year. Prior to adopting these procedures, the combination of shooting at indoor ranges and reloading had caused my blood lead levels to get as high as 40, the level that gets the attention of the state.

I would be very careful of re-using any aromatic solvents used to clean brass as while they will certainly do a great job of dissolving the gunk in the cases, I'm thinking they will also become contaminated with increasing amounts of lead styhpnate which in a solvent solution may be pretty easily absorbed through your skin.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b