What weight increment for powder adjustments

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

What weight increment for powder adjustments

Postby RBDMTJager » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:28 pm

In my initial reloads I used 0.5 grains as my charge weight index of change. If I wish to fine tune my loadings is dropping to 0.3 or 0.2 grains worth while or not for this powder, charge weight and caliber? I likely will use only bullets in the 245-250 grain weight class for now.

I ask because I achieved IMO excellent accuracy between 38.5 and 39.5 grains of Hodgdon Lil'Gun and would like to try to fine tune my powder charge weights and when doing so for my bottle necked rifle cartridges with much slower burning rifle powders I usually used a 0.30 grain increment or even a 0.20 grain increment. But am wondering with using a powder with a much faster burn rate what weight of powder charge should I use for fine tuning. For example Lil'Gun is number 62 and my IMR 4831 for my 300WSM is at number 124 on the powder burn rate charts so obviously Lil'Gun burns much faster than IMR4831.
RBDMTJager

Re: What weight increment for powder adjustments

Postby Hoot » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:16 pm

My experience has been with this caliber being so forgiving, I've never found any benefit tuning below a half grain increment.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: What weight increment for powder adjustments

Postby RBDMTJager » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:49 pm

Thank you hoot.
I will not experiment by adjusting my powered charge weight by less than 0.50 increments.
I did make more reloads at my four most accurate powder charge weights of 38.5, 39.0, 39.5 and 40.0 to finalize which load I will choose. They were all within +/- 0.20" of each other in terms of group size and all were well below MOA. Which ever one shoots best will be my load of choice un less the other ones best it.
As 40 grains also performed well I did make reloads using 41.0 and 41.5 grain loads of Lil'Gun to see if they can match my best accuracy loads so far.
Packed the chronograph and fresh batteries.
RBDMTJager

Return to Reloading for the 450b