Bullet for 50-100 yards

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Bullet for 50-100 yards

Postby Goose » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:37 am

Hello All!
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a Ruger American Ranch and am looking for some opinions on what to try reloading for shots on Whitetails between 50-100 yards. I’ve searched through old posts and it seems like the XPB is a favored round. I already have Lil Gun powder and more 250FTX but want to try something else. I’d say that 75% of my shots would be between 50-75 yards. The farthest would be 150 but that would only be if I saw something while walking back and forth to my stand so I’m not overly concerned about that distance. If necessary, I’ve actually considered finding a different round to shoot at 150+ yards as the way the land is and my path from the truck to my stand I could easily swap out rounds without any fear of deer seeing/hearing me.

Since buying this guy 3 years ago, each deer has been shot with factory Black ammo. I have zero issue with the factory loads I am putting 5 shots inside a quarter at 100 yards if I do my part. This is by far the most accurate gun I own. That being said, I just love to tinker.

Thanks!!
Goose
Last edited by Goose on Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goose

Re: Bullet for 50-100 yards

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:08 pm

Welcome to the electronic campfire Goose. I have all the bullets that I’ve played with, I just think the 250 grain is the go to for most people. But if you want to try something different, try some of the solid coppers that Barnes offers. Or if you want to hit them with a freight train, try the 300 grain FTX with 1680 powder. I would offer up a plethora of ideas, but right now, bullets are pretty hard to come by and if you find them in stock, you have to take out a small loan to buy them. While my shelves might have a decent inventory of certain types of bullets, it would be cruel for me to suggest that you try them when I know they are either not in stock piles anymore or discontinued. The current market for reloading supplies is a desert right now under this walking fecal disaster administration.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Goose » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:30 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Welcome to the electronic campfire Goose. I have all the bullets that I’ve played with, I just think the 250 grain is the go to for most people. But if you want to try something different, try some of the solid coppers that Barnes offers. Or if you want to hit them with a freight train, try the 300 grain FTX with 1680 powder. I would offer up a plethora of ideas, but right now, bullets are pretty hard to come by and if you find them in stock, you have to take out a small loan to buy them. While my shelves might have a decent inventory of certain types of bullets, it would be cruel for me to suggest that you try them when I know they are either not in stock piles anymore or discontinued. The current market for reloading supplies is a desert right now under this walking fecal disaster administration.

I appreciate the advice. I’d still be open to any of your ideas. That gives me some things to search for. I’m more in the research stage now anyway, especially since it’s damn near impossible to find anything and I whole heartedly agree with your assessment of Brandon and the clowns. That being said, I found a few places that have 250 TTSX in stock so I am thinking of picking up a box or two to try out.

I don’t have 1680 powder. Would Lil Gun work for the 300 FTX? Or is that better suited for 200-250 or so grain bullets?
Thanks!!
Goose

Postby s4s4u » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:39 pm

Do you want to load down as well? The XTP's are good bullets for speeds up to 1500 or so, and then the XTP Mag's take voer from there. I have one friend that hunts deer with the 250 XTP running in the 2k range and it kills them dead, most right there. Hornady will tell you it isn't designed for those speeds, but real world use says otherwise.
s4s4u

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:03 pm

The LilGun should work for the 300s. Just use the Hornady book and watch your pressure
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:05 pm

If you can get your hands on some 300 grain or 250 grain Speer Deep curls. They are pretty beasty. We have a member up in Alaska smoking big bears with them.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Return to Reloading for the 450b