TightNeck

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Re: TightNeck

Postby Jeepejeep » Tue May 15, 2012 7:18 am

wildcatter wrote:
Jeepejeep wrote:Thanks, guys, I kinda thought that was it but wasn't sure. Now I have a bunch of ammo to "thunk"!

Yuppers, just "Thunk About It"..Wink..

..t

GROAN!!! LOL!
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby alaskabushmaster » Tue May 15, 2012 10:05 pm

I love this forum. No where can you find break downs and clear explanations like this. The amount of knowledgeable contributors here is amazing. I hope this site stays for years to come. I will be slaying bears with this rifle for years to come. T-10 days to bear hunting. Hunting prince william sound for 4 days along with the baiters. I will be using this crimp method from now on out. I will get what I need tomorrow and press to test.
MOM I WANNA GO FAST!!!! "RICKEY BOBBY"
alaskabushmaster

Postby Hoot » Wed May 16, 2012 4:40 am

Just a note that I have added the results of some additional testing, using the Barnes 275 XPB, that utilizes the TightNeck.

Here'a a Link to it.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed May 16, 2012 5:13 am

alaskabushmaster wrote:I love this forum. No where can you find break downs and clear explanations like this. The amount of knowledgeable contributors here is amazing. I hope this site stays for years to come. I will be slaying bears with this rifle for years to come. T-10 days to bear hunting. Hunting prince william sound for 4 days along with the baiters. I will be using this crimp method from now on out. I will get what I need tomorrow and press to test.

We love postmortem pictures. :mrgreen:
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Wed May 16, 2012 6:01 am

alaskabushmaster wrote:I love this forum. No where can you find break downs and clear explanations like this. The amount of knowledgeable contributors here is amazing. I hope this site stays for years to come. I will be slaying bears with this rifle for years to come. T-10 days to bear hunting. Hunting prince william sound for 4 days along with the baiters. I will be using this crimp method from now on out. I will get what I need tomorrow and press to test.

Sorry for the Hy-Jack Guys, but then again you know mee..

alaskabushmaster,

Which variety of bears and what Bullet/Load are you going to use on those critters?

Something else, I intimately know your hunting area , having guided out of Tok, for a spell.

I know it's late to be experimenting, 10 days to the Hunt, but in that wet environment, you might want to get some Tree Pruning Gum. Applying the Gum, by way of a pipe cleaner to the bullet area, that is sunk into the case, and a little to the mouth of the case, one can, very effectively, water-proof the case. Using a tooth pick to dab a 1/4 drop of finger nail polish. Touching that drop to one small area of the primer pocket, after the primer is seated, a capillary action will further seal the primer, all the way around it's parameter, thus water-proofing, that end of the cartridge.

Twenty something years ago, I filled up a 50cal ammo can, with -06 ammo and distilled water (Distilled-water is an effort to try too avoid exterior tarnishing. I also change out that water, yearly). Once a year since, I pull out several rounds and shoot them, with NO misfires, yet.

Like I said, it's too late to change up, in the middle-of-the-stream, so to speak, but Consider this for future Hunts in Wet Areas.

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby livelyxp100 » Sat May 19, 2012 4:58 pm

here's a source for a neck sizing die to tightneck the 450B - Meachamrifles.com.They make blackpowder accessiories.
livelyxp100

Postby alaskabushmaster » Sun May 20, 2012 10:39 am

I Will be hunting browns/grizz in between willow mountain and the kashwitna river valley. If I can make the 8 mile trek with the deep snow this year i will hike all the way to the middle kashwitna valley. I will be hunting blacks in upper college fjord i believe unless you might have another fjord that holds more bears. We will take the boat up as far as the ice allows in college then zodiac in from there with a few spare props. LOT O BEARS in there. These locations have always been good to me and i believe they should be again this year. For loads I love the 250grn XPB over 38grns lil gun. Its proved itself a killer the last few years. The petals sometimes come off but the terminal performance is amazing. Ive shot through a few good size bears end to end. Ive never recovered a core of the xpb just a few petals. My gun loves that load. Ill be packing out thursday to the cabin and next weekend i hope to get a brown before the season closes.
alaskabushmaster

Postby alaskabushmaster » Sun May 20, 2012 10:49 am

I know it's late to be experimenting, 10 days to the Hunt, but in that wet environment, you might want to get some Tree Pruning Gum. Applying the Gum, by way of a pipe cleaner to the bullet area, that is sunk into the case, and a little to the mouth of the case, one can, very effectively, water-proof the case. Using a tooth pick to dab a 1/4 drop of finger nail polish. Touching that drop to one small area of the primer pocket, after the primer is seated, a capillary action will further seal the primer, all the way around it's parameter, thus water-proofing, that end of the cartridge.

I must confess my ignorance on this one...whats tree pruning gum/?
alaskabushmaster

Postby Hoot » Sun May 20, 2012 11:02 am

alaskabushmaster wrote:

I must confess my ignorance on this one...whats tree pruning gum/?

Kind of like the tar you see around the mouths of some Mil-Surp.

Back on the subject of TightNeck, I'm waiting and watching the weather to head out today with an experiment to see if the smooth sided, 250gr FTX can benefit from the process. Unlike the XPBs, they are not wider at the heal and they have more surface area to cling to the inside of the neck. I hope to report in later today with the result, if this darn front ever passes and the blur drizzle stops.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby commander faschisto » Sun May 20, 2012 3:01 pm

alaskabushmaster wrote: For loads I love the 250grn XPB over 38grns lil gun. Its proved itself a killer the last few years. The petals sometimes come off but the terminal performance is amazing. Ive shot through a few good size bears end to end. Ive never recovered a core of the xpb just a few petals.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Brown bears end-to-end? Cowabunga, dude!
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading for the 450b