Hornady's new bullets

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

Hornady's new bullets

Postby 2zero6 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:16 am

I just got an email from Hornady which is advertising new Monoflex bullets for the .30-30 and the .308 Marlin Express, They seem to be a monolithic 100% gilded metal flex-tip. Boy would those things sure would be nice in the old Thumper. It would also be great for those Condor zone guys too. Maybe Wildcatter and the rest of us could put a bug in Hornady's ear and try to get them to make them in .450 Bushmaster (unless this is one of the new loads Hornady is already planning that Tim was talking about on another thread) . :D
Here is the Link to Hornady
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Re: Hornady's new bullets

Postby Weapon of Choice » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:34 pm

Man, I wish they would add the 450 B to that line! I talked to a Barnes tech not too long ago and he said he did not think they would ever produce a bullet for the 450 Bushmaster. Just not enough demand to make it worth while.
Weapon of Choice

Postby 2zero6 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:35 pm

Yeah but if Hornady did it they could use the bullet for their muzzle loader customers.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
2zero6

Postby wildcatter » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:23 pm

Weapon of Choice wrote:Man, I wish they would add the 450 B to that line! I talked to a Barnes tech not too long ago and he said he did not think they would ever produce a bullet for the 450 Bushmaster. Just not enough demand to make it worth while.

Had I nice long talk, with The Guys that count, over at Hornady and things are definitely ah-float.

As for Barnes and what the tec-guy said... The Barnes Busters were specifically built to my specifications and the 325gr WILL show up in a factory loading, soon enough..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby 2zero6 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:14 am

wildcatter wrote:
Weapon of Choice wrote:Man, I wish they would add the 450 B to that line! I talked to a Barnes tech not too long ago and he said he did not think they would ever produce a bullet for the 450 Bushmaster. Just not enough demand to make it worth while.

Had I nice long talk, with The Guys that count, over at Hornady and things are definitely ah-float.

As for Barnes and what the tec-guy said... The Barnes Busters were specifically built to my specifications and the 325gr WILL show up in a factory loading, soon enough..t

No such thing as soon enough.... :lol: So I am guessing that was a sly neither confirm or deny Hornady using monolithic's?
2zero6

Postby Weapon of Choice » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:45 am

wildcatter wrote:

We're talking about lead free bullets here and that's what I asked Barnes about. The reply was no plans for copper bullet for the 450 Bushmaster. The Busters are not legal in the Condor zone.
Weapon of Choice

Postby pitted bore » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:13 pm

Weapon of Choice wrote:We're talking about lead free bullets here and that's what I asked Barnes about. The reply was no plans for copper bullet for the 450 Bushmaster. The Busters are not legal in the Condor zone.

W of C-
Judging by your results with the Barnes 275 grain XPB bullet shown in your post from 3 Nov 2010, you're doing pretty well with Barnes' current products.

(Your Post: http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?t=1123#p7667)

What would be your ideas on the characteristics of a Barnes bullet made specially for the 450B? How would it (they?) differ from the various 451 and 452 Barnes bullets now manufactured and particularly from those made for the 460 S&W?

Thanks.
--Bob
pitted bore

Postby Weapon of Choice » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:43 pm

pitted bore wrote:Judging by your results with the Barnes 275 grain XPB bullet shown in your post from 3 Nov 2010, you're doing pretty well with Barnes' current products.

(Your Post: http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?t=1123#p7667)

What would be your ideas on the characteristics of a Barnes bullet made specially for the 450B? How would it (they?) differ from the various 451 and 452 Barnes bullets now manufactured and particularly from those made for the 460 S&W?

Thanks.
--Bob

As I said before, I am talking about all copper hunting bullets for the 450. Barnes does not offer "various" bullets that are suitable. They have only one that appears to work and that is the 275 grain XPB designed for the 460 SW. All of the other bullets are designed to expand at much lower velocities than the 450 so they will more than likely not going to give good penetration in the 450 on big game.

The 460 bullets are the wrong diameter for the 450. We need a 452 so we can crimp tighter. Also we don't need a 275 grain bullet weight in a copper bullet in that the copper holds together much better. A 225-250 grain copper bullet with a 452 dia constructed for optimal expansion at 450 bushmaster velocities is what we need.
Weapon of Choice

Postby wildcatter » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:23 pm

This is all very interesting. A bullet especially for the Condor Zone. Seems to me we could make a special purpose bullet, but the question is, is there one that already works well and qualifies? The various Barnes bullets for 460 S&W will work nicely, I think. The 460sw is the same dia as the 450b, travels at the same factory speeds and unless your going to make those bullets go to hyper velocities in the 450b, they will perform as advertised? With just a slight peruse of the Barnes site it seems that they already have bullets that come close to WofC's parameters, I think. Question; is the Condor Zone that desirable to hunt in and can more standard bullets be used in other areas of CA?

Just a thought for perspective.

The 45cal has been around longer than any other caliber and as such, the bullets available are far and wide (from .450" to .458" we can shoot'em all, but the .458" bullets are somewhat heavy for the parameters being discussed), as they are plentiful. So, it would be difficult to make a special purpose bullet, that isn't already available, that's not to say our Wants-Wishes-Desires, can't be a new niche that needs tickling, but in the mean time, isn't there a "Good" trade off bullet for the C-zone, Barnes's 200grXPB might come close?

Another question: I know that Condors taste like chicken, so I'm told, but other than those (come on this is a joke), what are we trying to kill in that zone and if it's white-tails, isn't the 200gr XPB up to the task, as outlined? I'm not trying to be critical at all here, I'm just trying to get my head around the problem.

As a side question, but some what related, I just looked up how much congress spent on the Condor's for 2009 and it's paltry $634,000. Does that even cover the wages for the researchers, leaving no money what-so-ever for the birds? Seems to me that it'd be easy to sell 150,000 permits, to harvest "One" Condor, at $100/per permit, in a non-refundable lottery, for a total of $15 Million bucks, doing this every year. With that kind of money, how long would the Condors remain on the Endangered Species List? I know we have some Dr's here that are wrapped up in the money game side of research, am I crazy to suggest such a thing? What would the effects be with that kind of monetary infusion be? Sorry for the HyJack, my old habits are rearing their ugly head again..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby pitted bore » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:17 pm

Weapon of Choice wrote:A 225-250 grain copper bullet with a 452 dia constructed for optimal expansion at 450 bushmaster velocities is what we need.

WofC-
Your patient explanation is appreciated. You're correct of course; Barnes offers nothing that exactly matches those specifications.

For a point of reference and comparison, is there some current or recent 45 cal bullet (.451-.458) of any construction from any manufacturer that offers what you would consider optimal terminal performance at 450B velocities?

Thanks.

--Bob
pitted bore

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b