load data

Talk about your 450b reloading experience, ask questions, etc...

Moderator: MudBug

Forum rules
Please try and keep it safe!

This information is the responsibility of the community, not the forum. 450bushmaster.net is not responsible if you blow yourselves up.

load data

Postby 1fullmag » Sun May 20, 2012 12:45 am

where can I find data on the 200 and 225 grain ftx's?
1fullmag

Re: load data

Postby Hoot » Sun May 20, 2012 7:34 am

1fullmag wrote:where can I find data on the 200 and 225 grain ftx's?

My 450b with 20" barrel loves anything traveling around 2250fps, though one can load either bullet much higher. It's a good, SAFE and accurate starting point for someone beginning to load for this caliber.

200gr FTX / 37gr Lil Gun / Rem 7 1/2 Primer / Seat bullet until the cannelure is almost buried at the mouth / Taper Crimp to .475 / Enjoy
225gr FTX / 38gr Lil Gun / same as above...

There is another accuracy node in my 20" barrel around 2400fps (41gr Lil Gun), but you MUST work up to that in half-grain steps, paying close attention to your brass for signs of distress. Not should. MUST!. We want to see you around for a while and read your range reports.

In the case of the 225, if you're adept at the shooting bench, you can expect 100 yd, 5-shot groups (w/scope) like this:

and at the second node, this:

For the life of me, I couldn't find my 200gr targets from 2 years ago, but expect similar results.

I can not say what is best for the shorter 16" Carbine barrel, as I don't own one.

Get a cheap UTG brass catcher <$10.00. Brass for this caliber is an expensive investment and you want to baby them.

Good Luck,

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 1fullmag » Sun May 20, 2012 10:37 am

Thanks hoot, I was hoping you would chime in I knew you had some really good luck with those225 ftx's I've been reading on here since before I got my 20" upper. It's just hard to find data on here kinda spread all over.
I also got a box of 200 gr FTX blems that was supposed to be just a cosmetic thing but most of them were missing cannalure rings that may work out ok.
1fullmag

Postby Hoot » Sun May 20, 2012 10:57 am

1fullmag wrote:Thanks hoot, I was hoping you would chime in I knew you had some really good luck with those225 ftx's I've been reading on here since before I got my 20" upper. It's just hard to find data on here kinda spread all over.
I also got a box of 200 gr FTX blems that was supposed to be just a cosmetic thing but most of them were missing cannalure rings that may work out ok.

You're welcome. I'm sitting here alternating my gaze from the blur drizzle outside and the radar on the local NWS site showing the front creeping agonizingly, slowly, this way, waiting, waiting...

Of course, tomorrow and Tuesday, blue skies, calm, moderate temps, yatta yatta... The working man's lament.

The cannelure has value in our case. More so, in the lighter bullets, but having none is not a show stopper. Just an opportunity to further the state of the art. Do let us know your defeats as well as your victories. We all can relate and it adds gravitas.

Sitting here next to me, all loaded and ready to go, are some 250 FTX loads (sans cannelure), set up to test the still theoretical promise of the TightNeck approach. That's today's project, Weather Permitting ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 1fullmag » Sun May 20, 2012 11:25 am

Ya know, I had been thinking about that tight neck thing before I read about here when you guys were talking about it, for a diffrent situation though I had bought a bunch of the z-max bullets to load for a new 5.56 upper that I had bought thinking they were just v-max's with a green tip then I got worried about them not staying put while feeding thru the auto loading action of the ar so I called and was talking with one of hornady's tecs and he said it would prob be ok so I said if they wont I guess I could just buzz down the expander a little to give me a little more neck tention couldn't I ? and he said that would be a good idea. then I got home and opend the box and found they had a crimp ring so it wasnt a issue. also was thinking about it when having problems bullets pulling in my .454 casull.
Wont most of the die companys make a sizer die to custom specs for a small fee?
just looked at those 200gr ftx again and they are just missing the rear ring they still have the front I will post a pic if I can figure out how.
1fullmag

Postby 1fullmag » Sun May 20, 2012 11:56 am

yea I can't post a pic.
1fullmag

Postby Hoot » Sun May 20, 2012 1:57 pm

1fullmag wrote:yea I can't post a pic.

That's actually good news, as the rear one was of no use anyway. Too close to the heal to load out near the case mouth. Not enough bullet left in the case and it's proximity to the heal made it nigh impossible to drive a crimp into. The little remaining length behind it would distort and if there's one spot you don't want distorted, it's the last point to touch the muzzle as the bullet leaves.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby 1fullmag » Sun May 20, 2012 2:47 pm

well just finished loading the rest of my 250gr loads with w296 and lil gun went out to load up chrony and gear and herd thunder. was nice and sunny all day.
hoot did you send this crap to me?
1fullmag

Postby Hoot » Sun May 20, 2012 4:18 pm

1fullmag wrote:well just finished loading the rest of my 250gr loads with w296 and lil gun went out to load up chrony and gear and herd thunder. was nice and sunny all day.
hoot did you send this crap to me?

If you're east of Minnesota, then in all likelihood yes. Sorry about that, but I had to make sure the weather was good for all the retirees starting tomorrow. ;)

Hoot
Hoot

Postby 1fullmag » Sun May 20, 2012 11:14 pm

makes sense then. besides im south of you here in Mo. but now that I think about it I will be headed up your way this fall gonna try to get a bear with the new 450b if things work out.
1fullmag

Next

Return to Reloading for the 450b