Magpul UBR on Bushmaster 450 Carbine

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Magpul UBR on Bushmaster 450 Carbine

Postby SoulHunter » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:35 pm

Glad that I found this forum! I am trying to install a Magpul UBR stock on my Bushmaster 450 Carbine, and I need to purchase a carbine buffer and spring to work with the new stock. From a preliminary search on this board, I see that there are many options regarding spring tension and buffer weights--what spring and buffer should I use with the UBR stock? Thank you in advance for your help--I was just unsure enough about what to get that I thought I better ask.
SoulHunter

Re: Magpul UBR on Bushmaster 450 Carbine

Postby gadgetguy1288 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:18 pm

I'm not gonna be much help as my upper hasn't arrived yet, but I have my lower all built finally and am also using a UBR. Right now it has a standard carbine spring and Spikes Tactical ST-T2 buffer. And everything Ive read has said stay as close to a standard rifle buffer as you can because that is what its made to work with.
gadgetguy1288

Postby SoulHunter » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:18 pm

Right now it has a standard carbine spring and Spikes Tactical ST-T2 buffer

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about using the ST-T2 buffer with a Tubbs CS Flat Wire Spring, but I wasn't sure whether I needed to use the AR-15 version or the AR-10 version (it seams that they only make 2 springs, both of which work in either a rifle or carbine length tube). I was also wondering if their carrier weight system would be helpful in my setup.
SoulHunter

Postby Siringo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:38 pm

I use the Tubb's flat spring and it works great. I think it is smoother and you can use the same spring in the carbine or rifle buffer tube. Currently, I am running it in a rifle tube and also the the carrier weight system. I use the heaviest setup. I did this because I wanted to slow down the action and minize bullet jump in the case. Cycles just fine with factory ammo. Whatever system you use, try to stay around the 5 oz weight for the buffer -- that is what is in the rifle.
Siringo

Postby SoulHunter » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:38 pm

I use the Tubb's flat spring and it works great. I think it is smoother and you can use the same spring in the carbine or rifle buffer tube. Currently, I am running it in a rifle tube and also the the carrier weight system. I use the heaviest setup. I did this because I wanted to slow down the action and minize bullet jump in the case. Cycles just fine with factory ammo. Whatever system you use, try to stay around the 5 oz weight for the buffer -- that is what is in the rifle.

Siringo, thank you for the feedback. Quick question about your setup--did you use the AR-10 spring or the AR-15 version from Tubb's? Also, if I installed the Tubb's flat spring and a heavy buffer, what advantage would the carrier weight system offer over the heavy buffer & spring alone? FWIW, I will be shooting factory loads almost exclusively.

On a separate note, I did install the Timney drop in trigger--very nice! :D
SoulHunter

Postby MudBug » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:08 pm

I'm running a 9mm buffer in mine mostly because I'm running a Cavalry Arms lower and the heavy buffer reduces the pounding from the recoil.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby Siringo » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:38 pm

SoulHunter wrote:

Siringo, thank you for the feedback. Quick question about your setup--did you use the AR-10 spring or the AR-15 version from Tubb's? Also, if I installed the Tubb's flat spring and a heavy buffer, what advantage would the carrier weight system offer over the heavy buffer & spring alone? FWIW, I will be shooting factory loads almost exclusively.

On a separate note, I did install the Timney drop in trigger--very nice! :D

The only reason I went to the extra weight (CWS) is I was experimenting with heavy bullets (400's). Otherwise, the 450 will run with stock GI Rifle Parts. I used the AR15 spring and actually purchased it because I can switch back and forth from a carbine buffer tube or a rifle buffer tube and not have to use two different springs. As long as you are shooting only factory and as Wildcatter said about me not "putting your hair on fire" -- you'll be fine.
Siringo

Postby Hoot » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:41 pm

Before you plop down your hard-earned $58.00 + S/H for that CWS, consider fabricating one yourself. It isn't hard to turn down 5/8" steel rod stock to .616" though you might want more than a .009" lip. I suppose you could use 3/4" rod stock just as easy. If you don't have a little hobby lathe, you probably know someone who does. Food for thought.
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Siringo » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:45 am

The only negative with the CWS is the flange. It is not possible to pull the rear action pin and tip open. To clean/disassemble, it is necessary to remove both the front and rear pins. Not a big deal -- . Some are having the back of the bolt carries relieved to accept the flange so the action will tip open.

Another option -- if you want the heavy buffers -- go to "www.heavybuffers.com"
Siringo

Postby BayouBob » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:28 am

Anybody tried a hydraulic buffer?
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles