450b AR Style Rifle Picture Thread.

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 450b AR Style Rifle Picture Thread.

Postby Jeepejeep » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:19 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:We have lots of hogs around here but getting access to the land can be a challenge.
[ http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m229/Bigbadsheepdawg/212.jpg ]

Damn, that's a big piggie!
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:25 pm

And the scarey part is that my friend shot this one with a 22LR rifle through the ear. He had to shoot it more than once. We dragged him out of the pasture with a Jeep Wrangler 4X4 and a logging chain. That's me next to the hog. I was pushing about 215Lbs then.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:38 am

Just completed building a lower for my 450. If anyone is contemplating doing this, PM me and I can send you a list of the parts you will need. Building the parts list was one of the harder aspects of doing this. I undertook this because I wanted some custom components, so I ended up with the following:

Tactical Innovations stripped lower (Tactical Innovations)
    DPMS / Panther internals (Brownells) and buffer assembly kit (DPMS)
    Magpul trigger guard (Midway)
    Mako GL-Shock butt stock (Outdoor Oasis)
    Mission First Tactical G-27 Tactical Pistol Grip (Midway)
    Geissele two-stage trigger group (Midway)

I could have saved some money by shopping more widely, but the prices at Midway and Brownells were competitive. Also, Brownells sells an internal parts kit without the trigger group or pistol grip, which I planned to buy separately. They also have a set of instructional videos at http://www.ar15builder.com that were invaluable. The trigger group ran the price up to just south of $525 including shipping, and I also invested about $100 in tools (roll pin punches, pivot pin detent tool, AR15 combo wrench to tighten the butt stock, lower receiver vice block, etc.), since this was my first build. It took me about 6 hours to put it together, excluding time spent searching for the take-down pin detent, which launched itself into outer space during assembly. Yes, you could buy a less expensive lower with stock parts.

The upper is stock Bushmaster 450 with the addition of a Harris 9 - 13" swivel bipod, Butler Creek sling, and a Sportsman's Guide (I think Barska makes it) 3-12x50 scope on a UGT riser.

Will give it a test at the range next week (Christmas shopping not withstanding).
Attachments
450 with new lower receiver small.jpg
450 with new lower receiver small.jpg (85.13 KiB) Viewed 15084 times
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:49 am

Building your own is addictive.... Yep. That means me. The biggest challenge is that there are multitudes of options and parts available. The hardest part for me was choosing what I wanted while still staying inside a budget. FWIW, I built what I wanted....but I blew my budget to hell and gone.... :roll:
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:02 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I built what I wanted....but I blew my budget to hell and gone....

Yea, verily.
Jim in Houston

Postby commander faschisto » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:51 pm

We don't need no stinkin' budgets!.... :lol:
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:38 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:Just completed building a lower for my 450. If anyone is contemplating doing this, PM me and I can send you a list of the parts you will need. Building the parts list was one of the harder aspects of doing this. I undertook this because I wanted some custom components, so I ended up with the following:

Tactical Innovations stripped lower (Tactical Innovations)
    DPMS / Panther internals (Brownells) and buffer assembly kit (DPMS)
    Magpul trigger guard (Midway)
    Mako GL-Shock butt stock (Outdoor Oasis)
    Mission First Tactical G-27 Tactical Pistol Grip (Midway)
    Geissele two-stage trigger group (Midway)

I could have saved some money by shopping more widely, but the prices at Midway and Brownells were competitive. Also, Brownells sells an internal parts kit without the trigger group or pistol grip, which I planned to buy separately. They also have a set of instructional videos at http://www.ar15builder.com that were invaluable. The trigger group ran the price up to just south of $525 including shipping, and I also invested about $100 in tools (roll pin punches, pivot pin detent tool, AR15 combo wrench to tighten the butt stock, lower receiver vice block, etc.), since this was my first build. It took me about 6 hours to put it together, excluding time spent searching for the take-down pin detent, which launched itself into outer space during assembly. Yes, you could buy a less expensive lower with stock parts.

The upper is stock Bushmaster 450 with the addition of a Harris 9 - 13" swivel bipod, Butler Creek sling, and a Sportsman's Guide (I think Barska makes it) 3-12x50 scope on a UGT riser.

Will give it a test at the range next week (Christmas shopping not withstanding).

Very nice rig!
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Archie » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:02 pm

Nice Rig!

As for budgets - they are unnecessary. The parts you want are available, they don't spoil, and you have all the time you need to save a couple extra sheckles. The beauty of an AR is that it is modular and you can put in and pull out whatever you want. Barbie dolls for big boys...
Archie

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:03 pm

Archie wrote:Nice Rig!

As for budgets - they are unnecessary. The parts you want are available, they don't spoil, and you have all the time you need to save a couple extra sheckles. The beauty of an AR is that it is modular and you can put in and pull out whatever you want. Barbie dolls for big boys...

No, No, No, not Barbie dolls ..... Lincoln Logs!
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Jim in Houston » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:25 pm

BillytheKid wrote:
Archie wrote:No, No, No, not Barbie dolls ..... Lincoln Logs!

Showing your age, here. I'm sure you meant Legos.
Jim in Houston

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles