450 Magazine Options

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 450 Magazine Options

Postby Jim in Houston » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:50 am

I picked up a pack of two Sig mags at Academy ($29.99, as advertised) and put the blue single shot followers in them. I had to disassemble the mag by compressing the bottom with a vise grips to slide the bottom off. I then had to shave some plastic off one end and on the sides to get them to fit and move freely in the magazine body. I could not insert them from the top of the magazine. Here is a photo of my "crude" mods.
Attachments
Modified follower.jpg
Modified Blue "Single Round" BM450 Followers.
Modified follower.jpg (102.76 KiB) Viewed 15670 times
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby MarkCO » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:59 am

Pending getting the black followers that WC is working on, I tried most of the mods mentioned on here using metal and polymer mags.

To me, the easiest is a Lancer magazine with a modified blue follower. Much like the SIG mag mods Jim did above, it needs a bit of trimming. I also put a little crescent rounding on the front of the mag body. A quick pass with the dremel had me to 11 rounds and 100% function. I saw no reason to tweak the feedlips.

Second was modification of the Lancer follower by cutting off the blank and putting a slight dish in the middle. Still had to make a slight crescent in the front of the mag body. Took a bit more time, but it got me to 12 rounds in about 10 minutes.

Third, I clipped one coil off the Lancer spring and ground down the stop post on the front of the locking plate. This got me to 13 rounds, still reliable bolt hold open.

I tried P-Mags like the second iteration of the Lancers with no joy. Just too much work for one more round. I also tried metal 40 round C-Prodcuts mags. While I got to 16 rounds, I had to round the feedlips and then fold them in a tweak them for function. I did also try a custom made metal 55 round .223 mag and got to 24 rounds, but it is a baseprice mag of about $125 and it had to be significiantly modified.

For me, the best overall mag solution ended up being the modified bue followers in the Lancer magazines. This leaves the magazines useful for other calibers if need be and was pretty simple. The feedlips are steel, and not shapr so they don't cut the cases either.
MarkCO

Postby helidude350 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:18 am

I havent seen the polymer sig mags lately.
sig discontinued them.
I've only seen the standard aluminum mags sold with the sig name.
Didnt care much for the blue followers. They are in a box someplace.
pmags have that ridge running the length of the front. I trimmed one out in anticipation of the followers being available.
I havent tried the sig mags (polymer) unmodified, but have heard they work fine.
My biggest complaint about the stainless mag is the feed lips were sharp, and being the stainless is thinner than the aluminum mags, are harder to smooth out.
I do have one bushy 450 mag that I gave some love that works with no problems now.

Mags fixed, my factory upper works perfectly with standard buffer and spring.
helidude350

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:23 am

Has anyone tried with AR Stoner 5.56 Mags?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby MarkCO » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:36 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Has anyone tried with AR Stoner 5.56 Mags?

Yep, was not happy. Too much feedlip work required for me.
MarkCO

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:17 pm

Great.... :roll: I only have 6 of them. LOL.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby MarkCO » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:13 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Great.... :roll: I only have 6 of them. LOL.

After basically ruining one, I did come up with a method. I mounted the mag in a vice with a piece of shaped Delrin inside the mag body. I used a rubber mallet to fold the lips onto the Delrin jig. Then I went to a small jewelers file, still in the vice, lifter the body off the Delrin jig about an inch and then put a chamfer on the lips making it's flat at the same angle as the shell case. Bumped the jig one more time and done. The jig took some time and made it easier, but it is still a 30 minute process per mag.

The Lancers with the modifed blue, maybe 2 minutes per mag. I can live with 11+1 vs 12+1 for not having to mod followers or feedlips and still having a useable .223 mag.
MarkCO

Postby commander faschisto » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:18 pm

Apparently there are still some Sig556, 30-round polymer mags in stock at Rainier Arms:

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop% ... facturer=1

Possibly also another website, but I couldn't verify it was a secure site...
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby wildcatter » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:03 pm

MarkCO wrote:[u]Pending getting the black followers that WC is working on,[/u]

I case you didn't see it, the Black Followers, were sent to Hoot for distribution. Do a sight search under "Black Followers"..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:20 pm

wildcatter wrote:
MarkCO wrote:[u]Pending getting the black followers that WC is working on,[/u]

I case you didn't see it, the Black Followers, were sent to Hoot for distribution. Do a sight search under "Black Followers"..

..t

And stay tuned for the next open order period scheduled for after Thanksgiving.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles