450 Bushmaster Questions...Spring, Buffers.etc..

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 450 Bushmaster Questions...Spring, Buffers.etc..

Postby mdwyer » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:27 pm

will a Vltor Clubfoot Modstock hold up well for hunting and bench sessions?

thanks,
mike
mdwyer

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:15 pm

I use the Bushmaster M16 heavy buffer in a Magpul 6 position stock and find it's easier on the gun than the shooter. Recoil is NOT that bad; probably wasn't necesssary but since it's paid for it stayed. 8-)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby MudBug » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:47 pm

mdwyer wrote:will a Vltor Clubfoot Modstock hold up well for hunting and bench sessions?

thanks,
mike

That was the first stock I used.

Then I added the slip on recoil pad,

Then I switched it for an E-mod with the built in recoil pad

Then what I have now, a Cavarms lower that I chopped an inch off of and added a limbsaver recoil pad.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby 2zero6 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:08 pm

mdwyer wrote:will a Vltor Clubfoot Modstock hold up well for hunting and bench sessions?

thanks,
mike

I heard that when spec ops testing was done on a few ar setups they found the emod and modstock were the only ones to not fail in any of the breakage tests. FYI.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby mdwyer » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:35 pm

Well we are going to try a Magpul ACS and a couple of different weight buffers and give it a go.
How about a wolf XD spring { overkill ?? }
Just waiting on the upper to show up next week. Got my notice yesterday!!!

mike
mdwyer

Postby Siringo » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:26 am

I am very interested in the results you will have using heavy buffers in the carbine stock. The unit I have is a 2.84 oz and I feel it is way to light. The buffer used by Bushmaster in the rifle stocks weighs 5.4 oz. When using heavy bullets, I am getting pulled or bent rims on the cartridge. This is a sympton of the action trying to open while still under pressure. When I was using 400 gr. bullets, this was very prevelant -- especially in lower velocities (1200 fps to 1500 fps). This does not happen with bullets weighing 250 grains. I am assuming the heavier buffer will slow down the opening of the action.
Siringo

Postby randyf » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:39 am

My upper arrives on Tues. Dec. 1st.........I'm going to try a Wolff's heavy duty spring and a Spike's Tactical ST-T2 heavy buffer.
randyf

Postby mdwyer » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:49 pm

Siringo,

I will be getting all the pieces next week for assembly.

I have the following buffers to try,
all carbine:
2.8 oz
3.6 oz
4.4 oz

I guess i need to get a wolf spring and try them all with it and see what happens.

And for my confort a Magpul 3/4" recoil pad for the ACS. :lol:

mike
mdwyer

Postby wildcatter » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:16 pm

Siringo wrote:I am very interested in the results you will have using heavy buffers in the carbine stock. The unit I have is a 2.84 oz and I feel it is way to light. The buffer used by Bushmaster in the rifle stocks weighs 5.4 oz. When using heavy bullets, I am getting pulled or bent rims on the cartridge. This is a sympton of the action trying to open while still under pressure. When I was using 400 gr. bullets, this was very prevelant -- especially in lower velocities (1200 fps to 1500 fps). This does not happen with bullets weighing 250 grains. I am assuming the heavier buffer will slow down the opening of the action.

You got it. The system was designed for the standard stuff, if you push the envelope and start tearing rims etc, then you've got to slow things down, but you diffidently understand what's happening here..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby LSP972 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:13 am

Where does one find a slip-on recoil pad for a collapsible stock? Don't recall ever seeing one of those.

LSP972

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles