Magazines?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Magazines?

Postby rsb5772 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:21 am

I envy y'all. Nothing works in mine! The best I've found is PMAGs, and they might feed every other round.
rsb5772

Postby MudBug » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:09 am

rsb5772 wrote:I envy y'all. Nothing works in mine! The best I've found is PMAGs, and they might feed every other round.

Seriously? Not even the Bushmaster mags?
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby rsb5772 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:07 pm

MudBug wrote:
rsb5772 wrote:I envy y'all. Nothing works in mine! The best I've found is PMAGs, and they might feed every other round.

Seriously? Not even the Bushmaster mags?

It was/is the worst of all. The first mag, that came with the upper, would only load, if there was only one round in the mag. I closed the feed lips, opened them, polished them, and nothing!

I called BM and sent it back for a different mag, and the next was the same story. I think I'm going to call them and see about sending the upper and mag, and maybe they can figure something out.

A single shot AR is NO FUN!!!
rsb5772

Postby rsb5772 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:29 pm

For your viewing pleasure.

BM / SIG / PMAG

Same order, going up

Notice the marks from the bolt and feed ramps, on the rounds that have been cycled!

Same, right to left.

PMAG with inner rib removed. Causes the follower to want to tilt.

rsb5772

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:31 am

I don't have a 450 yet so I'll hang my neck out on the proverbial block,

but can you try your upper on a different lower and see if that helps? Just one less variable to eliminate.
Al in Mi

Postby talonxracer » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:47 am

I have had no issues with any mags with my 450 upper when matched to either my Bushy or LCW lower(made by LMT).

I did try a Pmag from a buddy, but I couldnt modify it(remove the rib), so I simply lopped off the polymer tip on a few rounds and it fed fine, and the modified rounds were just as accurate at 100 yards.
talonxracer

Postby rsb5772 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:32 pm

Al in Mi wrote:I don't have a 450 yet so I'll hang my neck out on the proverbial block,

but can you try your upper on a different lower and see if that helps? Just one less variable to eliminate.

I've tried it with two Essential Arms, one CMMG, and one DPMS, with the same results mated to all of them.
rsb5772

Postby Siringo » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:09 pm

On the Pmags with the rib removed, I added two nylon pan head slotted screws (10 x 32) to the front face of the follower. This was done to take up the space left from the removal of the rib. Sorry, no pics. This was just an experiment, but it works. I drill and tap the front of the follower on the upper and lower face rib side). You do not want to have the screws extend past the base or top of the follower. The nylon screws are self lubicating (so to speak) and take up enough space to prevent the follower from tipping down or up.

I bought the screws at the local Ace Hardware where they sell all the specialty fasteners. Mine work fine. They hold 8 rounds, although I usually do not load more than 7.
Siringo

Postby nfldraftdog » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:54 am

Volt wrote:Sig 5.56 30rnd clips work great !! I have 4. 10 rounds load and work easy no modifications.

I don't see how that could work. The feed lips will be to small wouldn't they?
nfldraftdog

Postby Siringo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:04 am

If I can take a photo today, I will try to post it. Pretty simple -- I am probably not describing it properly. Since the rib was removed on the body of the magazine, it is necessary to take up that space so the follower will not tip. It can't be too tight of too sloppy. The nylon screws on the front essentially take up that space. Other things may also work, but this was a simple fix.
Siringo

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles