Magazines?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Magazines?

Postby Colohunter » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:34 pm

Are you thinking of the other mags, still using the blue or modified follower? I have some stainless 6.8 mags and could try the 450 with those once I get some ammo for it.
Colohunter

Postby MudBug » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:06 pm

Colohunter wrote:Are you thinking of the other mags, still using the blue or modified follower? I have some stainless 6.8 mags and could try the 450 with those once I get some ammo for it.

Actually I was thinking of trying them without the blue follower to see how they work. The Sig 556 mags work without the blue follower.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby 2zero6 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:19 pm

MudBug wrote:
Colohunter wrote:Are you thinking of the other mags, still using the blue or modified follower? I have some stainless 6.8 mags and could try the 450 with those once I get some ammo for it.

Actually I was thinking of trying them without the blue follower to see how they work. The Sig 556 mags work without the blue follower.

I was thinking of the same but adding the follower if feed reliability became an issue.

If they do function with the 6.8 mags for you could you let me know so I can pick up the 8 or so they have at the shop? I also noticed the 6.8 follower is a little different in the shape of the little bullet form on top of the 6.8 follower is less pronounced.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby odgreen » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:15 am

Got in a couple of PMAGs. Nice product. I 100% understand now. I filed the ridge and the follower. Works perfectly up to 8 rounds. Rounds 9 or above tend to kick up at the front which leads to the first round only half riding in to the chamber as the bolt catches on the front half of second round still in the magazine. This occurs because the magazine is not straight up and down, it is curved. With a cone shaped round like .223 I can see how this could be ok but the it seems to cause a hiccup for the .450 cylindar shape. Is it just me?

Also, I see you put two nylon screws in the front of your follower. Was that to resolve this problem? I don't have the screws in and so far no issues other than this but I can certainly make a trip to Lowes if there is a reason I'll run in to later.

Either way, nice magazine for an 8 round. I modified one and may leave the other .223 and buy a couple of Sigs to compare.
odgreen

Postby thatguy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:42 pm

odgreen wrote:Got in a couple of PMAGs. Nice product. I 100% understand now. I filed the ridge and the follower. Works perfectly up to 8 rounds. Rounds 9 or above tend to kick up at the front which leads to the first round only half riding in to the chamber as the bolt catches on the front half of second round still in the magazine. This occurs because the magazine is not straight up and down, it is curved. With a cone shaped round like .223 I can see how this could be ok but the it seems to cause a hiccup for the .450 cylindar shape. Is it just me?

Also, I see you put two nylon screws in the front of your follower. Was that to resolve this problem? I don't have the screws in and so far no issues other than this but I can certainly make a trip to Lowes if there is a reason I'll run in to later.

Either way, nice magazine for an 8 round. I modified one and may leave the other .223 and buy a couple of Sigs to compare.

did you use 20 or 30 rd Pmags? I used the 20s and had the problem of the follower tilting while trying to feed, but the screws fixed that.. Lowes has the screws in the hardware sections..

brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby bushmeister » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:05 pm

I went out shooting yesterday, and the sig 556 mags with no mods performed flawlessly. 12 rounds each.x2mags= a case of whoop***! :D I have opted against using the thermold mag, although it shot all but the last round, It felt flimsy at the feed lips.
bushmeister

Postby Jailer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:48 pm

bushmeister wrote:I went out shooting yesterday, and the sig 556 mags with no mods performed flawlessly. 12 rounds each.x2mags= a case of whoop***! :D I have opted against using the thermold mag, although it shot all but the last round, It felt flimsy at the feed lips.

Where can you find these in stock at a reasonable price?
Jailer

Postby bushmeister » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:59 pm

jagermaster wrote:Price check at Academy

I just purchased a double pack of sig556 mags for 29.99

academy sports. http://www.academy.com/
And I was in there again last week and they still had them on the shelf at that price. not behind the counter though, right out there for anyone to get. They come with a connector so you can hook the two together.
bushmeister

Postby btfsc » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:47 pm

For those not close to an Academy store found some Sig mags in a two pack for $29.99 here http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ar25two30maw.html
btfsc

Postby Jailer » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:02 pm

btfsc wrote:For those not close to an Academy store found some Sig mags in a two pack for $29.99 here http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ar25two30maw.html

Thanks, just placed my order.

No academy sports near me so I was looking for a place on line that had them in stock.
Jailer

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles