Magazines?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Magazines?

Postby MudBug » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:05 pm

Al in Mi wrote:I'll pull mine down tonite and snap some pics for ya too. I don't remember it sitting on top of another follower thou.

It does.

Basically the kit comes like this.

The instructions say you can use a firing pin, but it comes with the long allen wrench for use like this.

Then you insert in on top of the standard green follower and wedge it in like this.

Though I will admit that it is a pain in the butt and would probably just be easier to take the mag apart and then rebuild it wiht the blue follower on top of the green one.

And before you ask "Why don't they just make a follower that works?" I'll say that I think it's because this follower already existed and works.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby odgreen » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:53 pm

Just ordered a couple of PMAGs. Hopefully I get the "duh" moment too when I see them. ;) If you guys get a minute and would like to post photos of your modification work, I would be interested in learning from your experience.
odgreen

Postby Siringo » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:17 pm

On page 3 of this thread I posted a pic of the modified Pmag follower. I use 10x32 pan head nylon screws. I drilled a couple of holes in the front of the follower, threaded them and put the screws in. You may need to trim them on the inside. It is crude, but works. Also, I removed the internal rib via careful sanding -- this is tedious, do it while watching one of your favorite TV programs.

I used a 1/2" sanding drum to contour the top of the follower.
Siringo

Postby Colohunter » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:18 pm

As mentioned in another thread some of the new magazines are shipping with a dedicated one piece follower for the 450. Someone posted some photos of it on the other thread.
Colohunter

Postby bushmeister » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:53 am

Here is the link to above mentioned thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=379
bushmeister

Postby thatguy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:13 pm

odgreen wrote:Just ordered a couple of PMAGs. Hopefully I get the "duh" moment too when I see them. ;) If you guys get a minute and would like to post photos of your modification work, I would be interested in learning from your experience.

Once you get the Pmags and load that first round you will see what is going on with 1) it being pushed under the feeder lips, and 2) the ridge along the front of the mag (you cant get more than 1 round in the mag using the commercial ammo.

I used a dremel and easily removed the ridge from each end and then used a small file to get the part of the ridge in the middle..

Here is a pic showing the ridge in an UNmodified mag - notice the ridge at the tip of the bullet

IMG_3965.jpg
IMG_3965.jpg (88.29 KiB) Viewed 11769 times

Siringo has good pics of what he did to the followers.. For the record I did not use the JB Weld to build up the follower before grinding the bullet shape down so mine is sorta skelatized

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby thatguy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:16 pm

odgreen wrote:Just ordered a couple of PMAGs. Hopefully I get the "duh" moment too when I see them. ;) If you guys get a minute and would like to post photos of your modification work, I would be interested in learning from your experience.

In case you need it.. for a small fortune ill sell you my 2 modified Pmags.. LOL I thinking $200 for 2 mags to make up the extra i paid because I missed the bushmaster sale. LOL

brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby 2zero6 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:42 pm

I had a chance to handle some 6.8 barrett mags at the local shop and noticed that they are slightly longer tha the g.i. 30's also the feed lips are pushed down a bit more. Any one here have one that can chime in on reliability with the .450 round.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby MudBug » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:31 am

I hadn't even considered using another caliber mag other than 450b and 223. Maybe I should try my grendel mags.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby wildcatter » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:06 am

MudBug wrote:I hadn't even considered using another caliber mag other than 450b and 223. Maybe I should try my grendel mags.

I'd like to know the answer to that one too. Go get'em MB..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles