Magazines?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Magazines?

Postby thatguy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:02 am

Thanks to Siringo and Wildcatter so far I was able to 'convert' 2 (i have 2 more to do) PMAG 20 rd magazines for use in the 450B... Until I actually got some ammo I couldn't visualize what Siringo and Wildcatter were telling me about the problem with the normal follower not feeding the first 450B cartridge that is loaded in the mag. BUT it became quite obvious when you see it what the problem is - a really big DUH moment for me..

For those interested - I will post pics soon on how I used Siringo's method to convert the Pmags.. The second mag only took me about 30 minutes or less to convert. I used a dremill tool to remove most of the ridge and had to use a small file to remove last 1.5 to 2" of the ridge in the middle..

Siringo's idea of using nylon screws as anti-tilt devices was quite novel and it works wonderfully in correcting the problem. I thought I could use some pmag 30 rd followers to solve the anti-tilt problem since the have a longer rear end - but they dont fit in the 20 rd mags..

A huge thanks to Siringo and Wildcatter

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby jwkeech » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:00 am

I am useing 30 round 5.56 colt mags by useing the blue follower cap. I had to tap down the fore end of the follower feed lips. I only load 10 rounds in them even thow they will hold more. Works perfect. I saw that someone was milling the 5.56 followers So I am going to try that as well. I am working on getting some made at a local machine shop by useing the one that came in the 5 round magazine as a pattern
jwkeech

Postby thatguy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:18 pm

I tried out my 'new' 450B Pmags this morning and had no problems with FTF/FTE.. I only ran 6 rds thru each so I will probably stick with the BM mag until I can test them more later on.

Every now and then that last round would still stick under the feed lips which was causing a FTF problems, so I had to go back and grind down the follower a little more. I also made the opening at the front of the mag a little bigger - when extracting the rounds from the mag by hand the brass would sometimes catch on the mag body..

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby bushmeister » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:38 pm

jagermaster wrote:Price check at Academy

I just purchased a double pack of sig556 mags for 29.99

I couldn't help myself.... I don't have an Academy where I live, but I saw one while in Pensacola on business. When I saw the puny gun department, I thought "no way do they carry sig mags"... but lo and behold they were on the shelf 2pack with connector for $29.99!!! bring on the zombies!!!!
bushmeister

Postby rugger16 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:18 am

Well, I bought these 40 round magazines a while back for my .223 and I took it apart to look at the follower. The follower is solid so I was able to grind it down and make it work without it being skeletonized. The mag suprisingly isn't that curved. I was able to fit 15 rounds in it. Seems like it should work. Here's the kicker though. I don't even have a 450B upper yet. :cry: :D Anyway, I hope to have it soon. As soon as I do get it I will take it to the range and give it a whirl.

Sorry to not have the ability to check it. But it does hold 15 rounds. I think I got the mags from midway.
rugger16

Postby Jailer » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:30 pm

Anybody have a good pick of the bushmaster single shot blue follower? I'd like to see just the follower out of the magazine if possible. I googled it without any luck.

Thanks.
Jailer

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:10 am

from Fulton Armory's site.

Al in Mi

Postby thatguy » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:35 am

The single stack follower is made to set on top of the original follower - it does NOT replace the original follower..

for the record - the single stack follower will not fit in a 20 rd Pmag without modifications.. the 20rd Pmag does not use a 'standard' GI type follower (although the 30 rd Pmag followers will work in 'GI' spec'd mags)

Brian
thatguy

Postby Jailer » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:23 pm

Thanks Al, that exactly what I was looking for.
Jailer

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:18 am

I'll pull mine down tonite and snap some pics for ya too. I don't remember it sitting on top of another follower thou.
Al in Mi

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles