Magazines?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Magazines?

Postby oldmanjeffers » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:18 pm

HUMM, I like the idea of the snail drum also but like brass knucks I too am in CA and it's not going to happen. I could get one in OR and modify it to only hold 10? And look "tacticool"! :roll:

As for the mag problems I'm reading about.... I made my own follower for a 30 rounder I have and haven't had a problem one, Matter of fact I have tried the 450 round in every mag I have shingle shot follower or not and have yet to have an issue, Everything works great, I thought I would make a bunch of single shot followers but a buddy of mine said to try ALL my mags first and sure enough, It's not needed in my case. All my mags are old, Cheep (were cheep) steel, Milslurp mags that I put new springs and the green follower in.

Duno what I'm doing different, The thing will and has feed every round I've loaded into them.

BTW shooting 10 of these rounds as fast as you can is something that needs to be done by all 450 owners, Just thinking about it brings a smile to my face!
We're all in this together
oldmanjeffers

Postby thebrassnuckles » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:37 am

oldmanjeffers wrote:BTW shooting 10 of these rounds as fast as you can is something that needs to be done by all 450 owners, Just thinking about it brings a smile to my face!

I thuroughly enjoy doing controlled pairs with this rifle, with the Izzy, they are extremely fast. and fun.... :twisted:
thebrassnuckles

Postby 2zero6 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:48 am

michael5446 wrote:im glad i read this thread, i thought i was the only one with feeding problems...from what i have seen, all of the big bore ar formats have feeding issues... you simply cant shove a "single stack" cartridge in a double stack mag and expect good results... here is what i did with a stock mag.....
IMAG0116.jpg

so far this works flawlessly, takes a little bit to get the specs just right, but its worth it.......

hope to hear the good and bad thoughts on this one...

cheers!

I never thought to do a sheet metal spacer inside the mag on the inside. That would be a lot easier to do than modding a G.I. 20 rounder for the drum feed tower. I gotta admit What I love most about all you guys besides being so friendly and polite, is the amount of creativity shared here. It's like being in a mad scientist's booth at a tinkerer's convention. :D
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby gunnut » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:08 am

wildcatter wrote:
gunnut wrote:I have followed Wildcatters instructions with a 40 rd. I also cut the lips back to match the factory mag. Works great! But, I can only get 17rds in it before my thumb get sore. It takes awhile to shoot 17rds! You'll think you've gone a couple of rounds in a boxing match! :lol:

As usual GN will get you thinking. It might be about time we thought about a speed loader for our thumbs. I have no idea what might work well, but how about this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nKy9Tiq5HM . I think we're going to have to go down this road, so I await your results..

Now, for recoil I do have a clue and I use a Caldwell Lead Sled with 4 bags of shot, for 100lbs, to tame the recoil while on the bench. This make the recoil seem like a 10-22 or less..

I took a Glock Mag loader I got at the gun show for 5$ and cut the front out to fit the AR mag.
Works like a champ! :D
gunnut

Postby 2zero6 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:36 am

Gonna have to steal that cool idea from you Gunnut for that drum mod. It will make for some pretty sore thumbs without it. Thanks for posting that. :mrgreen:
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
2zero6

Postby gunnut » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:28 pm

UpDate! I think most any high capacity pistol mag loader would work. As long as it's wide enough for the AR mag and a one piece design.
Cheap! Makes loading a whole lot easier.
gunnut

Postby Cely1932 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:58 am

2zero6 wrote:Alright so I have been talking about buying a MGW 90 round snail drum to tinker with for the ol' .450, and today I actually picked one up. My first try was just using the included 5.56 follower then I disassembled it and added a blue single shot follower (that needed a little bit of file work to fit). Both attempts the .450 cases would squeeze past the feed lips dumping the mag in my hand. Apparrently the Beowulf and soccom guys have been using this with some degree of success. The only reason they might be having said success is their case diameter is a little larger than ours. My next step will be to either add a little material to the feed lips via plastic epoxy/JB weld, or to put the tower in a small bench vise and heating it a bit to soften then plastic and slowly compressing it to reduce the space between the feed lips. I have also toyed with the idea of making a set of feed lip inserts and or just making a tower out of one of the spare aluminum 5 round mags I have doing away with the plastic tower all together. By my calculations I should be able to fit about 40 rounds or so in there. So if any one might have another a approach or tips, I am all ears and wish me luck. :idea:
[ http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/bgprod/MAG-055.jpg ]

I have a 100 rd Beta mag I've thought about adapting, now I think I may move this up on the priority list!! :D
Cely1932

Postby 2zero6 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:53 am

I have one as well but since it is a double stack dual feed design it would take heavy modification to make it work. The MGW drum just needs the feed lips closer together for it to work. A spacer like previously posted may work, I just haven't got around to it as I have been doing alot of hunting lately. If the spacer doesnt work. I have a G.I. 20rd marked for cuts and bends to replace the plastic feed tower that comes with the MGW drum.If you can get the Beta to work I may have to do it to mine as well as long as it can be converted back to 5.56. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :D
2zero6

Postby michael5446 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:19 am

just had another thought.....you could make a spacer inside the current mag in a different shape then what i pictured earlier... you would have to use maybe 4 or 5 "dummy" rounds in the end to push the live ones all the way up the mag well, since the follower and spring wont make it past the spacer....piece of cake and pie n ice cream

cheers
michael5446

Postby 2zero6 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:45 am

michael5446 wrote:just had another thought.....you could make a spacer inside the current mag in a different shape then what i pictured earlier... you would have to use maybe 4 or 5 "dummy" rounds in the end to push the live ones all the way up the mag well, since the follower and spring wont make it past the spacer....piece of cake and pie n ice cream

cheers

I love this kind of outside the box thinking. I'll give it a try. :D
2zero6

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles