Magazines?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Magazines?

Postby gunnut » Sun May 02, 2010 10:13 am

I have, and they work just fine if you add the 450 bushmaster "blue" follower". They hold 11 rounds and are very easy to load. Do NOT close them empty! This can break the "blue plastic follower". The "aluminum followers" work but don't always lock the bolt open on the last round.
gunnut

Postby xxInfidelxx » Tue May 04, 2010 10:07 pm

My friend came across "iTAC" mags, apparently the same manufacturer of the SIG 556 mags without the SIG name on them. Several places have them for $15 or less. He ordered 3 from an auction after he tried another coworkers SIG mag and it hand cycled a full mag without a hitch.
xxInfidelxx

Postby 2zero6 » Sat May 15, 2010 8:27 pm

Alright so I have been talking about buying a MGW 90 round snail drum to tinker with for the ol' .450, and today I actually picked one up. My first try was just using the included 5.56 follower then I disassembled it and added a blue single shot follower (that needed a little bit of file work to fit). Both attempts the .450 cases would squeeze past the feed lips dumping the mag in my hand. Apparrently the Beowulf and soccom guys have been using this with some degree of success. The only reason they might be having said success is their case diameter is a little larger than ours. My next step will be to either add a little material to the feed lips via plastic epoxy/JB weld, or to put the tower in a small bench vise and heating it a bit to soften then plastic and slowly compressing it to reduce the space between the feed lips. I have also toyed with the idea of making a set of feed lip inserts and or just making a tower out of one of the spare aluminum 5 round mags I have doing away with the plastic tower all together. By my calculations I should be able to fit about 40 rounds or so in there. So if any one might have another a approach or tips, I am all ears and wish me luck. :idea:
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby gunnut » Sun May 16, 2010 1:44 am

I think your going to opt for the new tower in the end.
you will have some sour thumbs charging it!
I opted for the Easy mags with a blue follower. They will hold 11rd. and a whole lot easier to load.
Good Luck! Glad someone is willing to try it!!
gunnut

Postby gadgetguy1288 » Sun May 16, 2010 10:17 am

If anyone is willing to part with a modded 20rd OD Pmag, I'm interested in buying one, just name your price. I want one bad but dont have the tools right not to make one :(
gadgetguy1288

Postby 2zero6 » Sun May 16, 2010 10:51 am

gunnut wrote:I think your going to opt for the new tower in the end.
you will have some sour thumbs charging it!
I opted for the Easy mags with a blue follower. They will hold 11rd. and a whole lot easier to load.
Good Luck! Glad someone is willing to try it!!

Yeah, taking a dremel cutoff wheel to a GI 20 rounder would be cheaper, easier, and faster. Not to mention more reliable. Doing it that route would also let me keep the unaltered factory tower unmolested if I ever needed to convert back if I wanted to sell it. My thumbs were a little sore from the first two experiments loading the 40 rounds each time, but the thought of using this on my 10.5" build makes it all worth it. Think UMP 40/MP5 on steroids. I already have a good supply of sig mags as well as an easy mag all loaded with .450 so this is more of a tinkering project for capacity while trying to keep it reliable. Thanks again Gunnut for pushing me in the tower direction.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
2zero6

Postby thebrassnuckles » Sun May 16, 2010 5:52 pm

FINALLY!!!

someone got the snail drum!.. i have been wanting to see some 450 loaded up in one of these since i picked up my upper... I would have done it if I could get one of those mags... stupid Kalifornia.. :roll:

I do believe a dremel and a 20 rounder would make for the best results on that thing.

Good luck, and post pics when you finish... also... i want to see your 10.5" upper, and what kind of loss in velocity would you be looking at? i am wanting a pistol, and i think a 450B pistol would be the tits. :twisted:
thebrassnuckles

Postby 2zero6 » Sun May 16, 2010 7:10 pm

thebrassnuckles wrote:Good luck, and post pics when you finish...

Thanks and will do. :D
2zero6

Postby Pyro3k2 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:22 pm

Stupid question but I have to ask, has anyone tried the .458/.50bw mags? and what about using a normal 20 round spring in the mags that come with the rifle? should be able to get 7 maybe 8 rounds in it.
Pyro3k2

Postby michael5446 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:21 pm

im glad i read this thread, i thought i was the only one with feeding problems...from what i have seen, all of the big bore ar formats have feeding issues... you simply cant shove a "single stack" cartridge in a double stack mag and expect good results... here is what i did with a stock mag.....
IMAG0116.jpg
IMAG0116.jpg (53.41 KiB) Viewed 11943 times

so far this works flawlessly, takes a little bit to get the specs just right, but its worth it.......

hope to hear the good and bad thoughts on this one...

cheers!
Attachments
IMAG0117.jpg
IMAG0117.jpg (42.99 KiB) Viewed 11943 times
IMAG0118.jpg
IMAG0118.jpg (53.79 KiB) Viewed 11943 times
IMAG0119.jpg
IMAG0119.jpg (54.66 KiB) Viewed 11943 times
michael5446

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles