Magazines?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Magazines?

Postby thebrassnuckles » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:10 pm

Any word on the 6.8 magazines working?
thebrassnuckles

Postby 2zero6 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:42 pm

I did a cursory inspection at the store but nothing on functionality or reliability. They are a little longer than 30rd GI mags. and the follower is a little different but that is all I could tell.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby thebrassnuckles » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:54 am

i think i read somewhere.. possibly here... that the ridges/indentations on the sides of the magazine are more shallow. i dont know what benefit if any that would give us.
thebrassnuckles

Postby 2zero6 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:39 am

Just to throw this out there.

http://www.50beowulf.com/bboard/showpost.php?p=19181&postcount=1
C Products follower

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got this response to an email I sent to their engineering folks:

To: Barry Bergen
Subject: Magazine followers (AR style)

Do you make your own followers? If so what would it take to change the shape from the "offset bump" for the double stack 5.56/.223 mags to a single stack for .450 Bushmaster and .50 Beowulf, that use unmodified .223 mags now? I believe that a mag follower designed for single stack configuration for these cartridges would be conducive to better feeding of these large caliber rounds.
Thanks,
Mike
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike',
There is currently tooling being constructed for the .450 Bushmaster. C Products makes booth those magazines respectively.

There will shortly be a new magazine for the .450 which will greatly improve its performance as well as the new follower.

Hope this helps
Barry Bergen

Owner/Managing Member
C Products LLC
30 Elmwood Court
Newington CT 06111
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby Colohunter » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:44 am

I haven't shot the 6.8 mags yet, but I did put the blue follower in one. There seemed to be a lot of room to the sides of the cartridge, they started to stagger as there got to be about four or five in the magazine. Also the feed lips seemed a little wide. They allowed the 450 rounds to stand up quite high and seemed to barely catch the edges of them. I would say the 223 mags would work better with the narrower inside diameter.
Colohunter

Postby thebrassnuckles » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:54 am

just a quick question.. would the 20 round PMAGS work unmodified with shorter OAL cartridges? like say you are using some 230gr HP bullets would you need to remove the front rib?

also, would they then work in a 30 round PMAG?

just curious.. i'm ordering my dies right now.. :D
thebrassnuckles

Postby wildcatter » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:14 pm

Hey Mad Russian, you are so good with the hand tools and can manipulate the YouTube, how about a video to show these guys how to make Hy-Cap GI mags..

Tools needed either a Rotary Moto Tool for quick work or Rat-Tail files, in both cases; you’ll need a ½ inch and a 3/8 inch. And a small light hammer. Like this one.. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... mpaign=649
But any hammer will work.

Note: The front of the mag is where the bullet faces.

Step 1: Scribe a line, up the front side, over the top, and down the backside and on the center line of the follower. The center line is the half way point, which is a measurement from side to side of the floor of the follower. Now, you’ve got a witness mark to guide your ground or filed cut.

Step 2: With the ½” cutter or file, go down the scribed center line, until the cutter reaches the follower floor. The Follower is done.

Step 3: Were going to cut the front of the mag down with the 3/8” cutter or file. Scribe a line horizontally and 3/16” down from the top-front, of the mag. Cut to your new witness line. You’ve now got a mag that will clear all ball or flat nosed bullets and the cartridges in the mag will stay there during recoil.

Step 4: With a cartridge in the mag, tonk down the forward half of the feed lips, until they just meet the cartridge and then go a skoosh more, maybe about .020”+- per side. Use the small, light hammer for this; I’ve used a stick, in the field, while hunting.

If you think you went too far, just pull the cartridge, by the bullet point, back up, through the feeds lips to reset them and then repeat the process.

This mag will still function the 223.

This is not rocket science and you don’t have to be to exact. If you wreck a follower, they only cost a $buck to try again. You only need about ten minutes and seconds if you have a Moto-Tool.

Go Get’em Guys!

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby thebrassnuckles » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:18 pm

do you have a picture of a modified follower? i could figure it out with a picture ;)

i put the single stack follower in a 30 round GI mag and at about 7 rounds it would get all jammed up and the rounds would be sitting at an angle to the feed lips.
thebrassnuckles

Postby wildcatter » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:19 pm

thebrassnuckles wrote:do you have a picture of a modified follower? i could figure it out with a picture ;)

i put the single stack follower in a 30 round GI mag and at about 7 rounds it would get all jammed up and the rounds would be sitting at an angle to the feed lips.

Ok, but I've got to learn to take the pics out of my Digital camera. And the Hammer and crow bar, I'm using, is wrecking the pictures. I might have to send you a follower, but you'll need to lie for me and tell everybody that you made it, cause the Mudder will tease me to death, if he finds out I'm too igor-rant, to manipulate the Button Thing-ies.

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby thebrassnuckles » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:56 pm

i wont tell a soul...

it would look bad on me being unable to follow direction :oops:
thebrassnuckles

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles