Magazines?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Magazines?

Postby Siringo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:49 am

Here is a pic of my modified follower. Also -- I see by your photos that the bullets have jumped forward a lot due to repeated chambering. Your bulllets are going to need to be reseated to factory specs.

Siringo

Postby nfldraftdog » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:00 pm

Why doesn't Bushmaster just make a bigger magazine? I don't want to Jerry rig anything or have to worry about a malfunction using a Sig 556 magazine that might or might not work.
nfldraftdog

Postby Siringo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:33 pm

The mods that I made were for the PMag. The Sig mags work great without mods. Maybe when Remington finally gets the 30 RAR out, someone will make dedicated mags for the 450 family size cartridges. All about demand.
Siringo

Postby Siringo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:37 pm

BTW -- I was told early on from the inside of Bushmaster that the Sig mags work great and to give them a try. Try 'em. You will not be disappointed. Also note though, these mags work great with factory ammo and I have found that with very blunt nosed bullets (resized 45-70 - 400grs) that the most reliable are the Bushmaster Stainless Steel Mags that they provide with the rifles.
Siringo

Postby nfldraftdog » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:43 am

Do you think Bushmaster will manufacture a bigger than five round magazine in the future?
nfldraftdog

Postby MudBug » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:18 pm

nfldraftdog wrote:Do you think Bushmaster will manufacture a bigger than five round magazine in the future?

I think there is some hope that with the new Remington 30 rar (which started as a necked down 450b) there might be a higher demand for mags that would fit both of these rounds.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby Siringo » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:16 pm

Seriously doubt that Bushmaster or Remington would make a higher capacity mag. Afterall -- these rifles are sold as hunting arms and many states limit big game hunting to 5 rounds. So, we would have to look at the aftermarket.
Siringo

Postby wildcatter » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:43 pm

It's no secret, but there are things coming that I can't really talk about.

But, to keep the Anti's from freaking out, a "Hunting Mag" of less than 10rds would skirt them nicely and a LE/military only mag of 12+ rds would also satisfy those who suffer from Hoplophobia.

Ah yes, politics.. but affective..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby nfldraftdog » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:36 pm

Siringo wrote:BTW -- I was told early on from the inside of Bushmaster that the Sig mags work great and to give them a try. Try 'em. You will not be disappointed. Also note though, these mags work great with factory ammo and I have found that with very blunt nosed bullets (resized 45-70 - 400grs) that the most reliable are the Bushmaster Stainless Steel Mags that they provide with the rifles.

So the Sig Mags work even with the 5.56 follower? Anyone know where to get the Sig mags?
nfldraftdog

Postby Siringo » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:31 pm

I bought mine at a local shop. If I remember correctly they were around $50.00 for the pair.

Using a dremel tool with the 1/2" round sanding drum, I removed the "hump" in the follower so the first cartridge in the magazine would sit better. Wildcatter described filling the underside with JB Weld Epoxy before doing the grinding. I didn't (because I did not know about this little trick), so the follower looks "skeletonized". But from posts I had seen on other sights, no mods were made and they worked just fine.
Siringo

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles