Magazines?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Magazines?

Postby MudBug » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:35 am

I think THIS is where I got mine, and I haven't done anything to the follower.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby gunnut » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:33 pm

It's time for me to post something usefull on this board. Here it is "Easymag, model EM3-556" by Cammenga products. $20 -$30. These things work right out of the box! Very easy to load, function great, Lock open on the last round,doesn't need a follower and are made of spring steel! They hold 12 rounds "I only load 10" I put 50 rounds through one with only one problem. The 1st round can move back out of the magazine enough to hit the bolt catch when putting it into the mag well, causing it to stand up. this is the only time this can happen. Just follow the instructions on the inside of the box " They are printed on the inside of the box, LOL" when loading. The fix to the problem is simple or just learn to live with it. NO MORE SORE THUMBS!!!!!
gunnut

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:54 am

gunnut wrote:It's time for me to post something usefull on this board. Here it is "Easymag, model EM3-556" by Cammenga products. $20 -$30. These things work right out of the box! Very easy to load, function great, Lock open on the last round,doesn't need a follower and are made of spring steel! They hold 12 rounds "I only load 10" I put 50 rounds through one with only one problem. The 1st round can move back out of the magazine enough to hit the bolt catch when putting it into the mag well, causing it to stand up. this is the only time this can happen. Just follow the instructions on the inside of the box " They are printed on the inside of the box, LOL" when loading. The fix to the problem is simple or just learn to live with it. NO MORE SORE THUMBS!!!!!

interesting concept for sure.

http://www.cammenga.com/cammenga-products.php?category=5
Al in Mi

Postby 2zero6 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:47 am

gunnut wrote:It's time for me to post something usefull on this board. Here it is "Easymag, model EM3-556" by Cammenga products. $20 -$30. These things work right out of the box! Very easy to load, function great, Lock open on the last round,doesn't need a follower and are made of spring steel! They hold 12 rounds "I only load 10" I put 50 rounds through one with only one problem. The 1st round can move back out of the magazine enough to hit the bolt catch when putting it into the mag well, causing it to stand up. this is the only time this can happen. Just follow the instructions on the inside of the box " They are printed on the inside of the box, LOL" when loading. The fix to the problem is simple or just learn to live with it. NO MORE SORE THUMBS!!!!!

I have the same mag and never thought of using it for my .450 it is usually filled with .556 but is a lazy feeder, maybe it''ll feed the .450 better. I just wish I had the money and smarts to figure out a way to make a drum mag work.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:40 pm

I just overhauled six used "GI" 30rd mags with the Bushmaster anti-tilt followers + the singleshot follower as instructed. They held 12rds each, but I will probably only use them with 10rds. Only one needed to have the lips tweeked. They all fed very well when thumbed and then cycled by hand; but I haven't pulled the trigger yet, so I'll have to report back after firing. The mags were free and the BM kits were $16 a piece, so not much to lose. These followers are slick, so I have very high hopes ;)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby wildcatter » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:16 pm

MOUNTIN DU wrote:I just overhauled six used "GI" 30rd mags with the Bushmaster anti-tilt followers + the singleshot follower as instructed. They held 12rds each, but I will probably only use them with 10rds. Only one needed to have the lips tweeked. They all fed very well when thumbed and then cycled by hand; but I haven't pulled the trigger yet, so I'll have to report back after firing. The mags were free and the BM kits were $16 a piece, so not much to lose. These followers are slick, so I have very high hopes ;)

DU, sorry I didn't get to you sooner, but for the others, here goes again.

Take the standard follower out, turn it over in fill the void with JB Weld, found at every auto store or hardware. After hardening say 12 hrs, run a a 1/2" ball nose mill cutter down the right side of the follower, as your looking down at it, with the right side of the cutter following where the right side of the cartridge would be if it was pushed all the over until it stops, in other words, run the cutter slightly off center of the follower to the right, again as you're looking down at the top of it with the bullet pointing away from you.. I hope this isn't too confusing, because the process is very forgiving and could be done with a dremel tool and a 1/2" drum sander too...
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby thatguy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:19 pm

Siringo - Thanks for the tips on modifying the PMAGS... After reading and re-reading this entire post quite a few times I think finally figured out what you did.. but I got a couple questions:

How did you get the center rib out of the Pmag bodies? I assume you had to remove the rib the entire length of the body.

You mention "drill and tap" - is that for starter holes so the screws dont bust the follower? Or did you just screw the nylon screws into the follower?

Wildcatter - just to clarify - On standard 20 rd GI mags followers - what I am doing is removing/lowering the bullet shape on top of the follower so the bullet wont be pushed sideways when the mag is loaded?

thanks

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby wildcatter » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:53 pm

thatguy wrote:..Wildcatter - just to clarify - On standard 20 rd GI mags followers - what I am doing is removing/lowering the bullet shape on top of the follower so the bullet wont be pushed sideways when the mag is loaded?

thanks

Brian

You got it, but you are also making a cradle to hold the cartridge, imagine the shape when you run a .500" ball-nose cutter down the center of the existing follower, just only go as deep as the flat or top on the follower base, that finally stops the cartridge. Hope my English is up to this task.

Now, for you guys that are having problems with this brand mag or that one. I am about to make a blanket statement, often times they get me into trouble but this time it's going to be so helpful, someone had better buy me a orange pop at the next SHOT Show.. Here goes..

All the mags work just fine! Now, it's true some need a little tweaking, but no fear WC (as 206 is want to call me, and that doesn't stand for Water Closet, although some may think I'm full of..), is here... As already described, adjust the follower and after this Mod, you may need to lower the front of the mag, to keep the bullets from jamming on the inside face of the mag. Doing this only depends on the bullet and large flat points are the most trouble-some, but that 1/2" sanding drum for a Dremel tool makes short easy short work of this task.

The real problem is how the feel lips grab the sides of the cartridge. The 450b dedicated mag has longer or shorter (I forget just now which it is) lips to keep the Pointy bullets from hanging up on the top to the chamber during the feeding cycle. But Pointy bullets are still no problem, here's the cure.

With all the non-Bushmaster, dedicated 450 mags, one can tip the front of the cartridge up through the lips so only the rear portion of the lips are holding the cartridges. This has never been a problem for me, but some find it disconcerting and some even report feeding problems, hence, this mag model works better than brand X, but all work without fail, if the following is adhered to..

By merely Tunking Down the feed lips, to get better cartridge engagement all the mags work just fine. To do this imagine that you are looking down the barrel of the mag from the top. You are going to tap down the lips as if you were driving them into the mag body. But, you are only going to tap them down, say .010" inches on both sides. That's not very much gents and if you end up going too far, just force the cartridge back up through the lips, thus expanding them out again and repeat the process. Just make sure you have full engagement of the case over the length of the cartridge. AND do the other suggestions, to the follower and the front of the mag. Lowering the front of the mag now becomes more important, because the bullet points are now starting from a point further down into the mag body, not much further, but it can become an issue, so lower the front of the mag some, wont hurt a thing and these adjusted mags still work for the 223..

Now, you have a GI 30 rd mag that holds at least 12 rds, some brands even more, and they will function flawlessly..

Where's my Orange Pop?...wink
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Siringo » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:53 pm

thatguy wrote:Siringo - Thanks for the tips on modifying the PMAGS... After reading and re-reading this entire post quite a few times I think finally figured out what you did.. but I got a couple questions:

How did you get the center rib out of the Pmag bodies? I assume you had to remove the rib the entire length of the body.

You mention "drill and tap" - is that for starter holes so the screws dont bust the follower? Or did you just screw the nylon screws into the follower?

Wildcatter - just to clarify - On standard 20 rd GI mags followers - what I am doing is removing/lowering the bullet shape on top of the follower so the bullet wont be pushed sideways when the mag is loaded?

thanks

Brian

To remove the center rid, I took a piece of square 3/8" stock (metal bar) and put some double faced carpet tape on one side. I then attached a piece of 120 grit sandpaper to the tape side. Trimmed off the excess. That way the sand paper is only on one side and will not damage other parts of the mag. Just kept sanding the rib till it was gone. Somewhat tedious, but works.

On the face of the follower, I drilled a proper size hole near the top and another near the bottom to accomdate a 10/32 tap. The nylon screws were just threaded in. Like I said before -- it is crude, but keeps the follower from tipping. They may be other ways that work just as well. Most of my shooting is done with the 240 gr Hornadys, so removal of the center rib is not all that necessary -- since the oal is shorter. The issue I have with the Pmags is the follower has a small step in the front that is supposed to catch the top of the rib when the mag is empty. This is what prevents the follower from popping upwards. That little step just hammers the rib during recoil, creating divots, which over a period of time can cause the follower to hang up. Lately, I have removed that little step from the front face of the follower, added a nylon flat faced screw on the bottom face of the follower, enlarged the slot in the screw to match the rib. This arrangement prevents the follower from tipping upwards. Maybe this may be a lot of monkeying around for some, but I like those plastic mags.
Siringo

Postby thatguy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:14 pm

Thanks Wildcatter and Siringo.. I appreciate your time in answering..

I dont like the long length of the 30 rd mags so I am looking to convert a Pmag and/or 20 GI mag for 450B use.. It would be easier to just buy the Sig 556 mags though.. LOL

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles