Help a new guy with a build

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Help a new guy with a build

Postby Spook1 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:16 pm

Guys I am new here and am planning a build to hunt with here in Ohio. I have an upper and free float forend and am going to order a barrel from x caliber as I have had great luck with their barrels for bolt actions.

A couple of questions. Is there anyone I can send my upper to to have them mill out the ejection port larger for the 450 round? My upper and free float tube are cerakoated a camo color and I would like to use them if possible instead of buying an upper and having a camo free float forend.

Next I plan to go with an 18" barrel. Should I get it as carbine or mid length gas? I plan to get an hbar with .750 adjustable gas block

Lastly where can I get a 450 bushmaster bolt. If I can't find one I would even be interested in a complete bolt carrier group if anyone knows where to find one.

Heck one more question. I've been looking at the Ross Schuler brakes and am going to get one. Should I get the barrel threaded 5/8-24 or a bigger size. Or does it really matter.
Thanks in advance
Spook1

Re: Help a new guy with a build

Postby MOOSE EARS » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:00 am

My suggestions: Normal SPR contour, 1:20 twist, 750 gas block, 11/16-24 thd barrel, carbine gas. I prefer the 4140CMV for barrel steel, not a fan of stainless, although I own 2. X-caliber barrels are great.
MOOSE EARS

Postby Spook1 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:48 am

I wanted to go with an spr but was told it was recommended to get an hbar at a minimum. That is why I am coming here now to the experts. I wonder what contour the barrels on the bushmaster uppers are?
Spook1

Postby Bmt85 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:46 am

Tromix barrels are .785 after the chamber, and don’t have an issue. I can see where they are concerned, as I questioned the Tromix profile, but no one has had an issue yet, including myself. The Bushmaster uppers, I believe have what X-caliber lists as Hbar.

If your going 18”, carbine should be fine if you don’t plan to reload. If your going to reload, go midlength. The Midlength gas system will still run Hornady factory ammo, but I don’t know about others. For instance Black Butterfly offers a 160gr Cutting Edge, 250gr Maker, and 275gr XPB. The 250gr and 275gr ammo should be fine with a midlength gas system, but the 160gr might not.

As to the muzzle, I would stick to the standard 11/16-24 threading. But Schuler can make anything you want, so if you want something different, go for it.
Bmt85

Postby ScottyPotty » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:37 am

Barrel profile doesn't make a difference in accuracy unless you get it hot. I want a lightweight contour for deer hunting.
ScottyPotty

Postby Spook1 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:20 am

Yeah I was wanting lighter to hunt with. I worried about there being enough meat on the barrel. But the spr is still a little bigger than the tromix barrel so it should be good. I'm going to go with 18" mid length gas
Spook1

Return to AR15 Style Rifles