optimum barrel length?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

optimum barrel length?

Postby smackfest04 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:46 pm

Hey all, new to the 450 bushmaster, looking at building an upper for deer hunting, and curious as to what barrel length and twist rate would be the best for that application. Thanks in advance guys.
smackfest04

Re: optimum barrel length?

Postby Hoot » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Welcome Aboard!

Your question is a little bit like asking Less filling or Tastes Great? IMHO, its a lot to do with what you're used to. My non AR hunting rifles generally have 22-26" barrels, so I'm preferential to the 20". Someone who only shoots 5.56 on an SBR may prefer a 16" carbine barrel. In the case of shooting lighter, faster 450b loads, there may be an argument for the 1:32, but the 1:24 seems to be a good compromise. Other members may have their own opinions on this. The caliber is very forgiving.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BayShoreBallistics » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:52 am

16, 18 and 20 inch barrels have all been good performers for me with this caliber. 1:24 twist is probably the best all around unless you will be loading your own ammo for special purposes. Just get one, shoot it often and enjoy!
Liberty and Freedom for All!(Some restrictions apply, must be over 18 and not available in all states)
BayShoreBallistics

Postby Smooth » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:37 pm

Black hole makes 450 in 1in 18 twist is this to fast? Does anyone have any experience with this barrel?
"You actually think that criminals will obey gun control laws?
You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"
Sam Elliott
Smooth

Postby BayShoreBallistics » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:51 pm

In theory 1:18 is a bit fast in twist rate for 250 grain projectiles. But, in my experience it works just fine for that bullet weight. I did not have the Black Hole Weaponry barrel though. Mine was from DeadShot Barrels.
Liberty and Freedom for All!(Some restrictions apply, must be over 18 and not available in all states)
BayShoreBallistics

Postby smackfest04 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:39 pm

Thanks guys, I have an ar setup in 204 for predator and general critter control, and most of my rifles and shotguns are around that length, so I reckon 20" in 24 twist shall be my choice.
smackfest04

Postby Gunny51 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:07 pm

Take a look at the Tromix 18" lightweight barrel 1:24. I have two and couldn't be happier with the quality & customer service.
http://www.tromix.com/450-bushmaster-parts.html
Gunny51

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:28 am

I've had both 16" and 20" in factory uppers, stayed with the 16" for handiness in the box blind and walks in the woods, but I wouldn't hesitate on a 18" with a 20-24t.

If I were to build one, Gryphon, Bartz, Tromix, Trident, Deadshot, BHO, Liberty, no doubt all would be a good choice.
Al in Mi

Postby ARconnect » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:06 am

When I ordered my upper from Midway, the 16" length was all they had available, so I went with it. I was raised, and lived most of my life, believing that a long barreled bolt gun was the only arm suitable for hunting. But, when I wanted a larger caliber, and didn't want to get into the Dangerous Game category, I swung over to the Little Black Gun side. Given the choice, and my history, I would have chosen the 20" if available, and figured I could always change the barrel if I hated it. But, I must say I was and continue to be impressed with the accuracy of the 450 B in carbine length. I really don't think I could wring any more accuracy out of the 20" barrel than I do with the 16" - although I am sure some can and do. And, I've found some additional advantages to the shorter barrel: its handy in the brush, fits in a case short enough to fit behind the front seats of my Jeep, and is a lot easier than my magnum bolt guns to take in and out of the Jeep when hunting. I think I'll keep it.
ARconnect
From the Land of the Bullet Button, 10 Rnd Max Cap Mags, and Lead-Free Fodder. But this place would be Paradise without the Politicians.
ARconnect

Postby BayShoreBallistics » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:34 pm

You lose about 150-175 feet per second when going with the 16" barrel, but there is plenty of energy to spare with this round anyhow.
BayShoreBallistics

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles