Me likey my Trident!

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Me likey my Trident!

Postby MaineAR » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:14 pm

Pictures will have to wait, but I just got back from my first range outing with my new Trident barrel on a Mega upper. I fired 60 rounds (maybe 59, I think some turd made off with one when I handed it to him to show the size of the round). Groupings were really good for the size of the round and low round count of the barrel. I expect better results once the barrel settles in. My last 4 rounds made 3 holes.

I am a little perplexed though. I consider myself a decent-enough shooter to be able to hit the same area with two separate groups. However, my last 2-rd group was about an inch above my point of aim, with two veeeeeery close holes. The last group of 4 was the same height, but about 1.5" left. Hmmmmm. This happened to me a few times today with no real pattern of which way the group shifted. I assume it would be me, but it doesn't happen with my other calibers. Ideas anyone? Either way, the rounds are grouping close enough to point of aim that I will drop whatever I shoot at within the distance of my hunting area. I love the round, love the barrel and can't wait to try it on moose. I doubt I'll be drawn in the lottery for a few years, so it will have to bring in the venison till then! Pics will follow!
MaineAR

Re: Me likey my Trident!

Postby kottke_35 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:33 am

Is your scope staying tight? And is it holding zero?

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby MaineAR » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:08 am

I did check the base and attempted to move the scope by hand. I didn't see or feel any shift or other movement. I'll check the torque screws and see if they did loosen a bit. It is a possibility since the recoil was so much, my magazine floorplate actually shifted forward.

Photos as promised.

Trident barrel and bolt. Windham ff tube, RRA 2-stage trigger, Mako GL shock stock, PSA lower, Mega HD upper. Burris Fullfield E1 2-7.
Attachments
450 BM.jpg
450 BM.jpg (107.86 KiB) Viewed 13600 times
450 BM2.jpg
The middle target was my 2nd to last group as referred to earlier. The right target was my last group of 4 rounds with no adjustment to the scope.
450 BM2.jpg (115.76 KiB) Viewed 13600 times
MaineAR

Postby tridentarmory » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:36 am

those are some decent groups for day one! keep it up...

im certainly not one to judge, but if your point of impact is shifting a little on occasion, id be looking at the scope and or mount. I cant say enough about the quality of the burris PEPR mounts(for the money) but i cant say for sure what could cause the issue.

Glad you like the barrel, and thanks for the range report....
post more pics when you get the barrel broken in and fouled a little more... It should start settling in well right about now anyways.

godspeed

James
tridentarmory

Postby MaineAR » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:46 pm

I did add some loctite to the scope mount screws just to be sure. They did seem looser than when I tightened them, but they were still firmly in place, if that makes sense. I hope to be running some more rounds through it here in the next few weeks with a co-worker. He is looking for something to reload for in the AR platform and doesn't want a .223. We'll see if he falls prey to this caliber!
MaineAR

Postby jambi » Thu May 01, 2014 11:02 pm

Looks great !
James,
Any update on mine ?

-sorry for the hijack
jambi

Postby commander faschisto » Fri May 02, 2014 7:39 am

That is one nice-looking rig! Great job, Trident.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby kklatt450 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:42 pm

get some warne scope mounts rock solid they make two piece also one piece . Low to ultra high available
kklatt450

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:38 am

Update? Did you lure your buddy to your.... Umm OUR addiction?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby MaineAR » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:38 pm

I think I did. We went shooting a few weeks back and it grouped amazing, again. The groups actually got tighter, which is good, showing the barrel is breaking in. I brought the .450 and the 7.62x39 AR's. He wants to reload for whatever AR he gets. I was going to bring my brother-in-law's 6.8, but he hasn't even popped its cherry yet, so we just went with the two I had. He had a smile as big as Texas after the first shot. I asked him what his thoughts were on the 450 afterwards and he said that it would be "sufficient", with a smirk. I thinks he's sold, just has to get some funds together.

The scope didn't walk this time. I put lock-tite on the screws and it didn't move at all. Can't wait to test it out on some critters this year, hopefully.
MaineAR

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles