Is there an Ejection Port Diagram for the 450 Bushmaster?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Is there an Ejection Port Diagram for the 450 Bushmaster

Postby macmac » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:50 am

Hoot wrote:Here's the diagram as measured on my rifle.

The 15 degree slant I refer to is the tilt that the bur / mill / stone, whatever, is tilted toward the top of the receiver while grinding. In other words, don't position the cutting tool perpendicular to the opening. As WC said, many folks who build uppers for this and other thumper calibers just use a Dremel with a carbide bur or rotary stone and I've seen some of their work. It looks fine. Obviously, don't balance the upper in your lap on a stool and do it. Affix it firmly to a work surface and set up a rest for your hand holding the dremel. Make many light cuts and it doesn't have to be aerospace precision. Just don't cut into the cover detent area.

Good Luck

Hoot

EDIT

Oops! In my haste to get the image made and annotated, while the wife was tapping her toe, waiting to go get groceries, I printed it upside down. The top rail is on the bottom in the picture. It doesn't effect what needs to be done. Also, in case you don't realize it, the widening is accomplished by only removing material from the top half of the port where the small step lip is located.

Hoot

This helps a lot..will see about using this with the one my son and I are getting ready to build!
macmac

Postby macmac » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:43 am

Image I took off on upper and lower area.
macmac

Postby Hoot » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:56 am

So, you took it off of the bottom of the port as opposed to Bushmaster taking it off the top. I guess it doesn't matter which side gives way as long as one of them does. On an aside, I believe the 458S and 50B have a fatter case (~.545) versus the 450B (~.500). I'm guessing as I only have a .50AE spent case I found at the range to measure.

Thanks,

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby macmac » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:59 am

I hope these show up.. I hate trying to up load.. lol :D :D
Attachments
1347285371626.jpg
1347285371626.jpg (103.67 KiB) Viewed 10735 times
1347285412398.jpg
1347285412398.jpg (100.72 KiB) Viewed 10735 times
1347285451198.jpg
1347285451198.jpg (61.93 KiB) Viewed 10735 times
macmac

Postby macmac » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:03 pm

Hoot wrote:So, you took it off of the bottom of the port as opposed to Bushmaster taking it off the top. I guess it doesn't matter which side gives way as long as one of them does. On an aside, I believe the 458S and 50B have a fatter case (~.545) versus the 450B (~.500). I'm guessing as I only have a .50AE spent case I found at the range to measure.

Thanks,

Hoot

I actually took some off top and bottom...wanted to maintain dust cover function..I also didnt cut it on angle..
macmac

Postby Blasternank » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:38 pm

Hoot wrote:Here's the diagram as measured on my rifle.

The 15 degree slant I refer to is the tilt that the bur / mill / stone, whatever, is tilted toward the top of the receiver while grinding. In other words, don't position the cutting tool perpendicular to the opening. As WC said, many folks who build uppers for this and other thumper calibers just use a Dremel with a carbide bur or rotary stone and I've seen some of their work. It looks fine. Obviously, don't balance the upper in your lap on a stool and do it. Affix it firmly to a work surface and set up a rest for your hand holding the dremel. Make many light cuts and it doesn't have to be aerospace precision. Just don't cut into the cover detent area.

Good Luck

Hoot

EDIT

Oops! In my haste to get the image made and annotated, while the wife was tapping her toe, waiting to go get groceries, I printed it upside down. The top rail is on the bottom in the picture. It doesn't effect what needs to be done. Also, in case you don't realize it, the widening is accomplished by only removing material from the top half of the port where the small step lip is located.

Hoot

So Hoot or anyone that can answer this: Do you basically only have to take material off of the top rear section of the ejection port? From the upper left section to the detent spot? i want to try this but I'm not too good with tools like this and am afraid I'll screw it up.

Thanks.
Blasternank

Postby Hoot » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:01 am

Blasternank wrote:So Hoot or anyone that can answer this: Do you basically only have to take material off of the top rear section of the ejection port? From the upper left section to the detent spot? i want to try this but I'm not too good with tools like this and am afraid I'll screw it up.

Thanks.

I swear, that upside down picture is going to haunt me the rest of my life. :roll:

No. Holding the upper upright and with the ejection port facing you, the cover detent spot represents the left-most starting point you grind off the top part going right, toward the chamber.

Pull the bolt back with a spent case in it and observe the first point where that case flips outward as it ejects. That is the area you remove. Since the spent case is ejected slightly upward, you remove the upper portion of the port.

As long as you're not in a rush and work carefully, you will do just fine. The process is very forgiving and the material isn't hard like gun steel. I've seen it done with a rat-tail file. I've seen it done with a dremel and stone, a dremel and rotary sanding cylinder and IMHO, the best way, a dremel with a carbide burr. I've seen it done with a mill, if you have access to one. If it's a used upper, degrease it so the chips don't stick to everything.

BTW, what lead time were you quoted on your barrel and bolt?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Blasternank » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:21 am

Thanks Hoot! You may need to edit that picture so people don't continually harass you! :D With regards to wait times: Ballistic Advantage quoted 12 weeks, but Trident Armory, in the Market section, said he will begin making barrels this week. So within a few weeks you can have it in hand. That's what they told me over the phone.

Thanks.
Blasternank

Postby wildcatter » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:19 pm

Ok, I stand Corrected. The first one I saw, couldn't get the dust cover to work, but apparently they have figured it out..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby 3rdgeargrndrr » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:23 am

Virgin upper width

450 Bushmaster upper width

CA: Exorcising my rights
3rdgeargrndrr

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles