9 rd mags

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 9 rd mags

Postby 2zero6 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:46 am

Weird, I had mags loaded in storage for 6 month + and used them this summer with no problems. I only loaded them with 11 rounds. How many did you load while storing?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby xxInfidelxx » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:38 pm

thatguy wrote:
xxInfidelxx wrote:I only have the 5rd that came with the upper. so far I have 40 rds through it and never had an issue with feeding. Do need to pick up some sig mags or try to mod a Pmag to work. Anyone do a tutorial on the Pmag mod yet?

There is a post w/ numerous pages on converting the Pmags around.. I have converted about 4 20 rd mags and it got easier after the first 2 or 3..

I used a bench grinder to remove the follower ridge. I did not rebuild it with JB Weld though - Although I may try that soon so it will hold that first round right in the middle.

To remove the ridge on the front of the mag i first tried a dremal type tool from each end but that only got in about 1" or less... I ended up buying a small, narrow file that was much easier to knock down that ridge.. 10 minutes of filing and its pretty much knocked down..

Some ppl have just cut off the red tip off the hornady ammo and I think they fit in the mag without removing the front ridge then.

At first I did not use the nylon screw on the front of the follower - but without it the follower will tilt and jam.. Right off I cant remember if i used 1 or 2 nylon screws on the follower..

One suggestion i have is to buy different color mags for your 450B than other calibers.. I ended up with tan/coyote..

brian

Thanks, I will search for the post. I did everything on the .450 in foliage green Magpul furniture. Have the barrel freefloat tube and scope wrapped in camo tape right now but not sure I like it (keeps hands warmer and noise down if a acorn or branch hits it, but keeps coming loose) and may just sponge camo the whole rifle.
xxInfidelxx

Postby bushmeister » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:46 pm

2zero6 wrote:Weird, I had mags loaded in storage for 6 month + and used them this summer with no problems. I only loaded them with 11 rounds. How many did you load while storing?

Bob's down in the bayou, and i'm guessing the warm weather does allow plastics to flex a little more than it does in most places. I'm with you 206, I've had no problems with them in climate control.
bushmeister

Postby bushmeister » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:49 pm

xxInfidelxx wrote:Thanks, I will search for the post. I did everything on the .450 in foliage green Magpul furniture. Have the barrel freefloat tube and scope wrapped in camo tape right now but not sure I like it (keeps hands warmer and noise down if a acorn or branch hits it, but keeps coming loose) and may just sponge camo the whole rifle.

I picked up a nice neoprene cover that works really well for the free float.. It was designed to cover co2 tanks on paintball guns. Search on my previous posts if you have any interest in that.
bushmeister

Postby xxInfidelxx » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:23 pm

I actually remember seeing that and even recommended it to a friend/fellow shooter. I may try getting a lower profile gas block and get a longer tube. I'm having trouble getting used to the carbine size tube when shooting off hand standing it's hard for me to steady my shots. I've done MMA/ Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for 12 years and damn near every joint in my body has been screwed up one way or another. It's more comfortable to shoot with my arm extended like in the Magpul videos. I can shoot pretty steady resting my hand on the magwell or even better under the magazine, but have seen pictures of missing fingers from Kabooms in the magwell. Probably a rare occurrence but I'd rather be cautious than have to wipe with a hook. Do need to get some more mags though. Only got the one now.
xxInfidelxx

Postby BayouBob » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:25 am

2zero6 wrote:Weird, I had mags loaded in storage for 6 month + and used them this summer with no problems. I only loaded them with 11 rounds. How many did you load while storing?

I only had 10 in each magazine and had the same problem with all 3 I had loaded. They worked fine at the range so i assume the issue was caused by storing them loaded. The reason I wanted to carry more than 5 rounds is hogs. Down here in the swamps we sometimes jump herds of them. Last winter I jumped a herd of 50 or 60 and they just ran straight away from me. I had a five round mag and popped 5 of them. (The 2 biggest weighed 178 and 193 lbs.) If I had had a 30 round drum I think I could have unloaded the whole thing before they got out of range! That was the 3rd big herd I came on last year, all different bunches but the other 2 times I was bowhunting so rapid fire was not an issue. I am going to start fresh with some new Sig mags and see if I can figure it out.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:53 am

2zero6 wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Send us a link to the Sig Mags.... (For those of us who are new)

I can usually find them local for about $30 but here is a link and here is a Gunbroker auction or another site here . :D

Thanx 206.... If I dont have to modify them at all, that sounds
Like just the ticket.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles