brush gun

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

brush gun

Postby artalon » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:57 pm

just curious why few are impressed with the hydraulic buffer and pistons
Im building a 16" 3 position aluminum stock brush gun and need reliability as I hunt in grizzly and big cat country and have had to many close encounters, my last black bear was shot about 10 yards in a charge, not a nice feeling
MOLON LABE
artalon

Re: brush gun

Postby 2zero6 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:03 am

I took a black bear in September using an M4 buffer and tube using Sig mags, it is plenty reliable without the use of a Enidine or any of the other systems.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:11 am

Gunnut has a topic posted on this topic and it even has pictures and X-rays !
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=223&start=0
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Siringo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:28 am

I USED to have an Endine Hydraulic Buffer in my A2 stock. As far as I was concerned it did not reduce recoil or make the gun more reliable (bolt bounce -- heck I'm not on full auto) -- since it never had a reliability issue anyway. Their purpose from my understanding was to slow rate of full automatic fire by delaying the recoil stroke at its most reward point. IMHO just another AR15 gadget - aimed at full auto short barreled carbines. The 450B system was set up to work with stock parts. SO, as long as your build uses buffers in the same weight range as the A2 stock buffer (5.0+ oz or more) -- you will be good to go!

IMHO -- you don't need them. I know others use them and swear by 'em, but my LIMITED experience tells me that they are not necessary with our system.

Visit -- www.heavybuffers.com
Siringo

Postby BD1 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:21 am

I use an enidine in my 16" .450 and like it. For a brush gun it is definitely not necessary, but it made a big difference to me during 100 round sessions on the bench working up loads. With the enidine and my DCM lead butt weight in the stock I can shoot off the bench all day long. In addition, it keeps the bolt closed a bit longer which helps brass life with the heavier cast boolit loadings, and it eliminates that annoying spronging noise which bugs me to no end when shooting black rifles. At some point when I'm feeling flush I'll put one in my .223 as well.

BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby artalon » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:04 pm

awesome, thats what I was hoping for, thanks a bunch from all that reply...
MOLON LABE
artalon

Postby Hoot » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:44 am

The mods never made this a sticky, but Here is an in-depth DIY thread for making your own bolt carrier weight. It is worth the trouble whether you make your own or pay someone to make it for you. I'm over 700 rounds through my 450b with little to no detectable wear. I believe that was the best 4 ounces I ever added to a gun.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby artalon » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:01 pm

thanks Hoot great info
MOLON LABE
artalon

Postby 2zero6 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:18 pm

Hoot wrote:The mods never made this a sticky, but Here is an in-depth DIY thread for making your own bolt carrier weight. It is worth the trouble whether you make your own or pay someone to make it for you. I'm over 700 rounds through my 450b with little to no detectable wear. I believe that was the best 4 ounces I ever added to a gun.

Hoot

I sent Mudder a PM about it. He has been pretty busy with a new job and fishing lately. :D
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
2zero6

Postby 2zero6 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:07 pm

Hoot wrote:The mods never made this a sticky, but Here is an in-depth DIY thread for making your own bolt carrier weight. It is worth the trouble whether you make your own or pay someone to make it for you. I'm over 700 rounds through my 450b with little to no detectable wear. I believe that was the best 4 ounces I ever added to a gun.

Hoot

Thread is now a sticky. Thanks Mudbug.
2zero6

Return to AR15 Style Rifles