***450 vs Hogs, Graphic***

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: ***450 vs Hogs, Graphic***

Postby randyf » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:25 pm

Has anyone loaded and tried the 300gr version?

I would think the 300gr SST bullet that has more lead and mass and travels a little slower would hold together better.

Has anyone tried this bullet on hogs or deer?
randyf

Postby BillytheKid » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:07 pm

oldmanjeffers wrote:Billy, You just can hunt here with a fully jacketed bullet, Some have gone as far as drilling a tiny hole in FMJ bullets and tapping in a #7 lead shot into it. From experience the warden just wants to see it's A) a soft point or B) hollow point. I use the Hornady GMX bullet for my 06 loads when hunting in the A zone, It is a expanding bullet by design, The only thing I would see where you might have a issue is using a completely solid non-lead bullet, It would "LOOK" like a fully jacket bullet.

My brother is hunting in A zone this week! LOL

So, the non lead bullets are required for hunting in "condor zones" in California. My brother believes there is prime wild hog hunting there, so we are looking for non lead factory ammo.

Bill
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby wildcatter » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:16 am

randyf wrote:Has anyone loaded and tried the 300gr version?

I would think the 300gr SST bullet that has more lead and mass and travels a little slower would hold together better.

Has anyone tried this bullet on hogs or deer?

I'm thinking you're right, even though I like 230gr FMJ_FP's the best. The neat thing is.. even though you'd consider this bullet, on this Hog, is what is considered, is in a failed state. In other words it Failed, BUUTTT, the results can hardly be described as failed, in fact the opposite is true, i.e. an Absolute Success.

This is why I went down the Big-Bore Road, after years and years as a Professional Hunter, it made sense to me, for when the shots are marginal and they always seem marginal, a near miss, for what ever reason, results in a kill anyway you slice it.

When I went down this road, the 45-70 was all but dead and everything about Big-Bore's had hit their zenith by the end of the Civil War and where the engineering advances had been forgotten, replaced with advances in smokeless powders and smaller and smaller bores, ending at the 223 and now the craze is for a 17cal, whats next a 12cal (BTW, I've got a 12cal on my drawing board)?

So, researching the discarded Civil-War/45-70 data and coupling that with a modern-day assault weapon, meant kills, even if we choose all the wrong components, like bullets. Now, choose the right components and you've really got dead, as if we need more dead than this hog appears to be.

However, the most important Ballistics thing in this case is,.."When are we all supposed to be at AR167's A.O. for bacon and eggs breakfast?? ..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby bushmeister » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:26 pm

wildcatter wrote:(BTW, I've got a 12cal on my drawing board)?

That ought to be killer on Wood boring Bees! :D
bushmeister

Postby AR167 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:15 pm

Great points WC. I have complete confidence in this Hornady load on the quarry I'll be pursuing this fall. :mrgreen:

All in all, 5 hunters took 7 hogs on this outing with calibers 450Bush, .30-06, 270Win, 300 Mag and 7.5 Swiss. We recovered bullets from every hog with 2 exceptions. In all recovered bullet cases, the range was close < 50yds, and the bullets hit bone. Standard "deer loadings" were used in all calibers. One of the exceptions was a 450 on the small boar pictured in my first post, the other was the 7.5 Swiss with the Hornady 168gr interbond. This bullet broke both shoulders leaving thumb sized holes coming and going. I was planning on using this load for deer this year, and after seeing the performance on hogs, I think I'll be happy! Surprisingly to me, the 300 mag and the 30-06 both in 180gr offerings didn't pass though. Obviously this had more to do with shot angle and chance, just goes to show you it's not the caliber, but the placement. Regardless of caliber, all piggies were DRT, but the internal damage had to go to the 450! I'm sold. :D
AR167

Postby 2zero6 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:56 pm

AR167 wrote:the internal damage had to go to the 450! I'm sold. :D
Yep Image
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby Weapon of Choice » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:07 pm

Doxadude wrote:W.O.C. - I've considered loading some of the barnes XPBs. I'd be interested to see what your results are.

Here are the results so far:
http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1123
Weapon of Choice

Postby Doxadude » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:02 pm

NICE! Ok... I am off to order a box of those. Thanks for all the details. That will help alot!
Doxadude

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:23 pm

It does seem to me that those bullets, while expanding great, may have too thin of a jacket. I would be very interested in
some of the Barnes analysis. While the Hornady bullet may be perfect for thinner skinned game, I really would hate to destroy such yummy meat by a bullet that cannot have a more controlled expansion and better penetration. What yardages
did you take those shots from and what would you guess the FPS was when the bullets struck?
But Hey! Good shooting and WOW, what a wound channel!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles