450 LM "LeGendre Magnum"

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 450 LM "LeGendre Magnum"

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:31 am

Very good! One less custom part to worry about...thanks for the info.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby wildcatter » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:00 pm

commander faschisto wrote:Jus' wonnerin'....who's going to make the barrels for this baby after WC and Gunny give birth to it? Am I correct in assuming that this "safari-grade" Thumper will basically be a re-barreled/-bolted AR-10 platform? I'm dreaming of a 325gr Barnes Buster coming out the tube at 3000....oh, baby; oh, baby....sorry....I need some private time now... :lol:

And, actually, I could beat on your 308 AR-Barrel some and give it back to you in a 45cal, with a Twist Configuration of your choice and chamber it to boot. At some point, I'll just order barrels, a couple of thousand at a time, done my way and resell them. And for the picky custom guys, offer custom, everything else.

This is going to end up as, how was it put.."A Safari Grade" as it's going to out kill, perform, and generally, stomp the heck out of a 458 Winchester Magnum, in all Ballistic Categories and the Gunny is going to have the recoil, tamed right down, as well..

..t
Last edited by wildcatter on Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby commander faschisto » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:06 pm

Dude...my checkbook is already running for cover...but, I'll find the little devil, eventually. You two keep us advised how the 450LM load work is going! You're going to create even more madness out here amongst the susceptible to your wiles! ;)
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Postby Hoot » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:05 pm

Say Tim. I have this 24 inch SS DPMS LR308 bull barrel in .260 Rem. Ballpark figure, what would a fellow be looking at cost wise to have it re-bored to .452 and chambered to the 450LM? Not that my budget includes any Safaris. Just curious...

As a .260 barrel, so far, it has not met my expectations for accuracy. Still more load workup to be done in .260, but if it turns out to be MOA at best, I might consider retasking it. It obviously has a rifle length gas system port though.

My 260 bolt action is in a different league altogether. A total waste of time on the local 100 yd range. You can only self-gratulate so much for one ragged hole groups with many different loads, including the ones that only yield 1 to 1.5 MOA .260 barrel on the LAR-8 platform. Was hoping for a somewhat similar results to the .260 bolt action. My LAR-8 platform, with its .308 barrel shoots in the .3-.5 MOA range at 100 yards with select loads, so I know it's not the platform. Like I said, still more load testing to do though. Always keeping my options open. Kinda wish I had gone with the 6.5 Creedmoor instead of the .260, but already had all the reloading components from my bolt action and got a fantastic deal on the 260 barrel. The Creedmoor has gotten repeated rave reviews for it's inherent accuracy in an AR10 class of rifle. Hindsight is always 20-20, but my wallet is shortsighted ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:55 pm

Hoot wrote:Say Tim. I have this 24 inch SS DPMS LR308 bull barrel in .260 Rem. Ballpark figure, what would a fellow be looking at cost wise to have it re-bored to .452 and chambered to the 450LM? Not that my budget includes any Safaris. Just curious...

As a .260 barrel, so far, it has not met my expectations for accuracy. Still more load workup to be done in .260, but if it turns out to be MOA at best, I might consider retasking it. It obviously has a rifle length gas system port though.

My 260 bolt action is in a different league altogether. A total waste of time on the local 100 yd range. You can only self-gratulate so much for one ragged hole groups with many different loads, including the ones that only yield 1 to 1.5 MOA .260 barrel on the LAR-8 platform. Was hoping for a somewhat similar results to the .260 bolt action. My LAR-8 platform, with its .308 barrel shoots in the .3-.5 MOA range at 100 yards with select loads, so I know it's not the platform. Like I said, still more load testing to do though. Always keeping my options open. Kinda wish I had gone with the 6.5 Creedmoor instead of the .260, but already had all the reloading components from my bolt action and got a fantastic deal on the 260 barrel. The Creedmoor has gotten repeated rave reviews for it's inherent accuracy in an AR10 class of rifle. Hindsight is always 20-20, but my wallet is shortsighted ;)

Hoot

$475.00 and it's Match Grade++ Cut Rifling (custom twist of your choice) and the job includes the chambering, ..freight collect. You'll need to send your bolt and of course the barrel. You'll be able to use standard full-length, blown-out, 284 brass, 6.5/284 works well too. You'll have to ask Gunny how many rounds the mag holds, I forget just now. But for someone that wants to take full advantage of the full length case, in an AR10 type rifle, there will be "NO" Rival, "Period", no excuses.

I don't know what the Gunny will end up with, but I've seen typical 3000fps 230gr-FMJ's and I'd not be ashamed, nor feel under-gunned, to kill Elephant or the worst cape Buff with 325gr Barnes Busters and this cartridge combo..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby gunnut » Wed May 16, 2012 11:11 pm

OK, found my way back to this. Got started on the brass. Winchester 6.5/284. Started with annealing them at 750%F then swagging them in 6 steps to .445 They start out 2.16 long and end up 2.10 will be trimmer to 2.09 then fire formed.
Last edited by gunnut on Wed May 16, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gunnut

Postby kottke_35 » Wed May 16, 2012 11:19 pm

:D I smile big when I see new posts in this thread! Keep us informed!

B.
Warriors don't shoot bull's-eyes.

” Blessed are those, who in the face of death, focus on the front sight.”
-Col.. Jeff Cooper
kottke_35

Postby commander faschisto » Wed May 16, 2012 11:22 pm

Great news there, Gunny....I love it when a plan finally comes together. Keep up the good work; you've got a lot of drooling going on out here. :)

Does anyone do "custom" case making out there? I wonder how many jillion cases you'd have to order to get them interested?
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

Postby gunnut » Wed May 16, 2012 11:31 pm

Here the pic of them in steps. Image
gunnut

Postby commander faschisto » Thu May 17, 2012 12:15 am

Very cool, indeed! Keep up the good work there, Gunny... :) Many out here are drooling in anticipation!

We should talk to Quality Cartridge Co. about what it would cost for them to do a minimum run of cases to the desired .450LM specs...They do all sorts of wildcat cases.

UPDATE: I sent them an email about min. order requirements: http://www.qual-cart.com/index.html
Last edited by commander faschisto on Thu May 17, 2012 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member

commander faschisto

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles