stock magazine problems

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

stock magazine problems

Postby tacster » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:36 am

i could only load 4 rounds in my 450 magazine. i could fit the 5th bullet but it wouldnt cycle right. so i took out the detents (as recomended by a member here ;) ) and i can fit and shoot 6 bullets now no problem. but the the spring keeps popping out of the bottom of the magazine. this happend on both of my bushmaster magazines, and before i modified the magazine to fit more than 4 rounds. it still shoots and cycles fine even with the spring hanging out the bottom. the spring pokes out where the bottom plate meets the side of the magazine.

so what can i do? fill the gap where the spring pokes out? cut spring?... this has happened multiple times after putting the spring back, so its not just a one time deal.

i love this gun. defanitely my new favorite, and what i take hunting every time now. i switched from a bow to a an ar :lol: . but these magazines have been nothing but trouble from the start for me.

thanks for everyones help. this site has been a wealth of knowledge for me, and i appreciate it.
tacster

Re: stock magazine problems

Postby 2zero6 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:56 am

tacster wrote:i could only load 4 rounds in my 450 magazine. i could fit the 5th bullet but it wouldnt cycle right. so i took out the detents (as recomended by a member here ;) ) and i can fit and shoot 6 bullets now no problem. but the the spring keeps popping out of the bottom of the magazine. this happend on both of my bushmaster magazines, and before i modified the magazine to fit more than 4 rounds. it still shoots and cycles fine even with the spring hanging out the bottom. the spring pokes out where the bottom plate meets the side of the magazine.

so what can i do? fill the gap where the spring pokes out? cut spring?... this has happened multiple times after putting the spring back, so its not just a one time deal.

i love this gun. defanitely my new favorite, and what i take hunting every time now. i switched from a bow to a an ar :lol: . but these magazines have been nothing but trouble from the start for me.

thanks for everyones help. this site has been a wealth of knowledge for me, and i appreciate it.

Can you post some pic's? I am a visual kinda guy. Is it a Remington rifle mag or did it come with a Bushy, as the Rem's have a 4 round mag while the Bushy's come with a 5 rounder. Have you tried using a normal G.I. 20 rounder? I don't have a newer version mag but I am a little familiar with the new mag design. I am sure others will chime in that are more familiar with the mag.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby Hoot » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:07 pm

Is the wall gaping wider and allowing the spring to slip out, or is the floorplate sagging downward allowing the spring to slip out? Obviously neither is a desirable condition, but it makes you wonder if the metal used in them is too thin. While they restricted how far down the follower could come, those detentes would have also prevented the spring from exerting as much pressure on the floorplate, so perhaps the manufacturer decided to use a slightly thinner stock on the floorplate. I usually take new mags and re-press the four retaining right-angle fingers that hold the floorplate on as they always seems to be bent too loosely for their own good. Perhaps that's what you also need to do. Hard to say without an image to see. I never noticed this on my mag as I have never loaded more than one round at a time for shooting off the benchrest.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Atomicdog » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:42 am

I had the same problem. Of the two magazines i ordered from Bushmaster, one was shipped with the spring poking out the bottom side as well. I used a nail punch to coerce it back into place. Not sure how they didn't notice it when they packaged it as it's "painfully" obvious.
Atomicdog

Postby dale » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:32 pm

I have one that came with my upper in december, it has the black follower, i think its the newer one. Everytime i shoot it, the floor plate starts walking out, allowing the spring out. I rarely use it, the 4 sig mags i have since bought work flawlessly, never have problems.....Maybe bushmaster should source them from sig sauer.... :roll:
dale

Postby 2zero6 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:02 pm

dale wrote:I have one that came with my upper in december, it has the black follower, i think its the newer one. Everytime i shoot it, the floor plate starts walking out, allowing the spring out. I rarely use it, the 4 sig mags i have since bought work flawlessly, never have problems.....Maybe bushmaster should source them from sig sauer.... :roll:

I agree 100%! I love my Sig mags, the only problem is a 5 round hunting reg limit. Maybe use some sort of block or space in the Sig mags to reduce Capacity to 5 rounds might be in order.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby tacster » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:32 am

Can you post some pic's? I am a visual kinda guy. Is it a Remington rifle mag or did it come with a Bushy, as the Rem's have a 4 round mag while the Bushy's come with a 5 rounder. Have you tried using a normal G.I. 20 rounder? I don't have a newer version mag but I am a little familiar with the new mag design. I am sure others will chime in that are more familiar with the mag.[/quote]

im sick as a dog, so when i go shooting, and when it happens again i will take pics

they are bushy stock mag. one came with upper, the other i got from midway.

i have not tried a normal 20 rounder because i am in ca. nothing above ten rounds. theoretically i could buy a 20 round rebuild kit and make it into a 450 mag. but the rebuild kits are to fix preban magazines. being as i was 12 when the ban took effect i dont have any magazines to fix. im on the fence about this one. maybe i could have someone out of state build me a 450 magazine. label it as "450 bushmaster- 10 rounds" and send it to me.
tacster

Postby tacster » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:37 am

Hoot wrote:Is the wall gaping wider and allowing the spring to slip out, or is the floorplate sagging downward allowing the spring to slip out? Obviously neither is a desirable condition, but it makes you wonder if the metal used in them is too thin. While they restricted how far down the follower could come, those detentes would have also prevented the spring from exerting as much pressure on the floorplate, so perhaps the manufacturer decided to use a slightly thinner stock on the floorplate. I usually take new mags and re-press the four retaining right-angle fingers that hold the floorplate on as they always seems to be bent too loosely for their own good. Perhaps that's what you also need to do. Hard to say without an image to see. I never noticed this on my mag as I have never loaded more than one round at a time for shooting off the benchrest.

Hoot

i think the gap must be getting wider. or it was too wide to begin with. no sag in the floorplate. this happend before i ever took the mag apart and before i took the detents out. ill try and repress the the right angle fingers.
again im sick sick sick. so getting photos might take a while.
tacster

Postby tacster » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:39 am

Atomicdog wrote:I had the same problem. Of the two magazines i ordered from Bushmaster, one was shipped with the spring poking out the bottom side as well. I used a nail punch to coerce it back into place. Not sure how they didn't notice it when they packaged it as it's "painfully" obvious.

must have happened on the test fire? i got the spring back in place, but it keeps happening.
tacster

Postby tacster » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:41 am

I agree 100%! I love my Sig mags, the only problem is a 5 round hunting reg limit. Maybe use some sort of block or space in the Sig mags to reduce Capacity to 5 rounds might be in order.[/quote]

thats what us californians do. i have several "10/20" magazines but the block seems permanent so i cant take it out and make a 450 mag.
tacster

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles