450 Bushmaster Bolt Extractor/Ejector function test.

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 450 Bushmaster Bolt Extractor/Ejector function test.

Postby etijsma » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:04 pm

First off, i want to say thanks for sharing all this wealth of information, not just you Hoot but it stretches out to everyone.
Last edited by etijsma on Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
etijsma

Postby Hoot » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:44 pm

etijsma wrote:First off, i want to say thanks for sharing all this wealth of information, not just you Hoot but it stretches out to everyone.

I went out and tore the gun down and checked out the extractor while still installed and the case went in fine with no problems. i went ahead and stripped all of it down and placed the extractor on a case and it actually seemed that there was a very slight gap. so i didnt have to do anything but i went ahead and polished the tip of the extractor.

I'm not sure I'm following what you did. If the fully assembled bolt slides into and out of the chamber without a cartridge and does not drag on the barrel extension
-but-
The bolt, bearing a cartridge does drag, then the case is not allowing the extractor to rotate on it's pin (like a seesaw) close enough to the bolt, to clear the barrel extension.

Without the ejector in the bolt. If you hold a case in the bolt, hooked under the extractor, flat against the bolt face and there is a gap between the rim and the extractor, they you know the part of the extractor adjacent to the rim is not the culprit. It's the claw bottoming out in the extraction groove before the extractor rotates on it's pin (like a seesaw) close enough to the bolt, to clear the barrel extension. That does require taking a little off the claw lip where it is contacting the bottom of the groove. Polishing the leading edge will have no impact on your problem. Did you mean polish the leading edge, or use a polishing action to "take a little off" the claw lip? Not trying to be pedantic. We just want you to prevail and not have to send it in.

Most of us here, have a whole bunch of memories filed away in our heads of when other folks helped us triumph over adversity and prevail in our challenges. Most of us are compelled to "balance the equation" by doing the same for others. The idea being that by the time you pass from this world, you've settled up your accounts as best you can. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby etijsma » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:38 am

im a idiot. i miss typed about the gap, i had one thing in my mind and typed another. lol

it fits it pefect with a slight gap to allow the case to slide forward and back. since it was good i polished the leading edge..
etijsma

Postby Jim in Houston » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:49 pm

Thanks all for the photo, drawing, and discussion. Very clear now, in case this problem develops on my BM.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby tridentarmory » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:52 am

dog, and to all of you... yes of course ill help yall out with parts n pieces....
in fact, the only thing i wont sell is a stripped lower to a guy building a rifle.... i cant afford some "troll"(hahaha :D ) to be on youtube and blow himself up with a frankengun with my name on the side of it.

now that said, most guys assembling a rifle out of parts do just fine... i just get nervous.

ill hook you guys up with anything from bolts and extractors to parts n pieces, to barrels.

heck, kenny called me last night and put a upper on hold. im really excited to get a couple of these in the hands of guys on the board.... then we can open a whole new line of chat.
tridentarmory

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:02 am

Rock On!!!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby AR_Hunter » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:05 pm

Alright Guys,
I've been anticipating having a few spare minutes to try the described fixes mentioned a few posts back. I checked different cartridges from both batches of ammo that I have on hand and they both have the exact same size rims. I again tried to seat the cartridge on the bolt face with it in the bolt carrier assembly. It was pretty tough but if I wiggled it sometimes or held it at a slight angle I could get it to snap into place. Having nothing else to lose I took a small file and slowly relieved some of the metal from the underside of the extractor claw. I tried this several times and after removing around .002 inches I could reliably push the cartridge onto the bolt face without fail yet it wasn't too loose. I assembled the gun and crossed my fingers. I loaded up a mag and let the charging handle fly....

The round chambered as usual, great. Now, will it extract the round when I pull the handle back? Yep! Awesome! I hand fed two magazines by way of the charging handle and all fed and extracted beautifully. I won't be able to shoot for a while, but I do believe I've got the problem licked. Thanks again to everyone for their time and help. Hoot, I refrained from shipping back the extractor when I read the posts earlier in the week but will indeed ship it out on Monday.

I'm excited to see that Trident Armory has joined our "group" and will be sending my neighbor that is looking for his first AR to his website!
AR_Hunter

Postby Hoot » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:13 pm

AR_Hunter wrote:...snip...Hoot, I refrained from shipping back the extractor when I read the posts earlier in the week but will indeed ship it out on Monday...snip...

No biggy, send it home at your convenience. I knew from your posts that you wouldn't throw in the towel and your perseverance paid off. Way to go!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby tridentarmory » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:30 pm

Gents,

i know there are some out there that have not got this concept figured out totally, ill be posting pics and links to a youtube vid i just made at home showing the issues and their fixes. Please wait patiently, my phone uploads slowly.

Im glad to make home vids to help in this way regarding anything i can. so fire the questions away.
tridentarmory

Postby tridentarmory » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:48 pm

watch this video, do as i do....

forgive me, i was rushing it while i had a spare moment waiting for laundry to be done sunday.

http://youtu.be/uXL4k-l3gXU
tridentarmory

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles