450 Bushmaster Bolt Extractor/Ejector function test.

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 450 Bushmaster Bolt Extractor/Ejector function test.

Postby AR_Hunter » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:18 pm

Tim,
The lugs completely lock and the carrier is completely flush.

*EDIT: I failed to mention that it is hard to get the rim of the cartridge under the extractor even without the ejector in. I'm almost certain that the extractor is out of spec as you have to wiggle/cant the cartridge to get it on the rim properly.
AR_Hunter

Postby Hoot » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:31 pm

AR_Hunter wrote:...snip... I'd like to try Hoot's extractor as I think that will solve the problem. The case didn't move near enough for me to think it's a headspace problem but if the extractor doesn't fix it I'll have to send it in to Bushmaster...snip...

Pat, I'll send you my spare extractor on loan to troubleshoot with. If it fixes your problem. Order one up and when it comes in, send it or the loaner back. If it doesn't help, just send it back and get in touch with Bushmaster. If it gets scratched up from troubleshooting, it's no big deal. They still work with scratches. ;)

It's already boxed up and addressed, but I missed the Saturday window hours at the post office, so it won't go out until Monday. At least you'll get it quicker than waiting for Bushmaster to send you another one. Per your PM, no need to send any money. Folks around here have helped me more times than I can begin to recall.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:18 pm

Hoot wrote:
AR_Hunter wrote:...snip... I'd like to try Hoot's extractor as I think that will solve the problem. The case didn't move near enough for me to think it's a headspace problem but if the extractor doesn't fix it I'll have to send it in to Bushmaster...snip...

Pat, I'll send you my spare extractor on loan to troubleshoot with. If it fixes your problem. Order one up and when it comes in, send it or the loaner back. If it doesn't help, just send it back and get in touch with Bushmaster. If it gets scratched up from troubleshooting, it's no big deal. They still work with scratches. ;)

It's already boxed up and addressed, but I missed the Saturday window hours at the post office, so it won't go out until Monday. At least you'll get it quicker than waiting for Bushmaster to send you another one. Per your PM, no need to send any money. Folks around here have helped me more times than I can begin to recall.

Hoot

Now we're talking and "How 'bout that Hoot"!!!..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby AR_Hunter » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:25 pm

Hoot is a true Gentleman! I'll look for the package later this week and let you know what I find out. Thank you all! :D
AR_Hunter

Postby Hoot » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:34 am

AR_Hunter wrote:...snip... I'd like to try Hoot's extractor as I think that will solve the problem.

2 weeks later

And......???

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby AR_Hunter » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:37 am

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I've been working like crazy and have been out of town. Thank you Hoot for the extractor, I'll be sending it back to you early next week. The extractors were indeed different in their cutouts on the outside. Long story, short with Hoot's extractor it was even harder to put a case underneath the extractor. I chambered a round with the gun assembled and it chambered about 90 percent of the way and jammed the gun up. I could not pull the bolt loose using the charging handle and had to tap it loose with a dead blow hammer. At this point I will have to find time to send it to Remington/Bushmaster and cross my fingers. Thank you all for your time.
AR_Hunter

Postby Hoot » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:22 pm

AR_Hunter wrote:Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I've been working like crazy and have been out of town. Thank you Hoot for the extractor, I'll be sending it back to you early next week. The extractors were indeed different in their cutouts on the outside. Long story, short with Hoot's extractor it was even harder to put a case underneath the extractor. I chambered a round with the gun assembled and it chambered about 90 percent of the way and jammed the gun up. I could not pull the bolt loose using the charging handle and had to tap it loose with a dead blow hammer. At this point I will have to find time to send it to Remington/Bushmaster and cross my fingers. Thank you all for your time.

I'm so sorry the extractor wasn't the magic bullet for you. Nobody likes sending their babies back to the factory. At least we gave it a try. When it returns, make sure you write up both the experience of sending it in and getting it back, as well as how it performs. In the mean time, I may just put that extractor in my bolt and make sure it is the right tolerance for the time I might come to depend upon it in a crunch, like up in deer camp. I bought it from another member here a while back as he had several and I know it was not identical to my factory one. Knowing him, I felt it was still the correct one, but from a different manufacturer. Your experience with it tells me that it warrants a little further investigation before I return it to my spares box.

Hoot
Hoot

The extractor is the culprit

Postby scottbander » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:56 pm

Hello guys
I'm new here but I've been reading all of your good info on the 450b. Anyway I just got a 16" upper in the mail on Friday. I just now made it out today to shoot it for the first time. I experienced the same exact problem you guys are describing. It would jam and stovepipe 75% of the time. If it wasn't stove-piping it would just not pull the spent case all the way out of the chamber. Came home, took the bolt out and found the same extractor scrap marks. I kept the jammed cases separate from the ones that cycled properly for testing later.
What I found was when I tried to push the spent cases into the bolt face while out of the gun by hand, only the cases that jammed would not let the extractor snap over the case flange. Also rather than hooking the case into the extractor I pushed it strait in ( as this is how the case enters the bolt face when returning to forward position while firing the gun). The cases that cycled properly, snapped in just fine. I also tested factory unfired rounds And got the same result as the spent cases, About 75% wont allow the extractor to snap over the flange. I tried my .223 upper for comparison and the case flange snaps in with no problems. This tells me that not all the case flanges are the same thickness, and that the extractor may have been manufactured too short or with too close of tolerances.
I was thinking about taking out the extractor and trying to file or dremel it down some. I have had to tinker with my 1911 extractor before with success but maybe this should not be done on an AR weapon.
Or maybe Bushmaster has an improved extractor they can send me. I bought my upper from Gunbrokers, but befor that I called Bushmaster to order from them And they told me that they are no longer making the 16" upper and the guy I talked to said he did not know if they would start making them again. Maybe for this very problem. The 20"ers could be had on back order though.
My upper and lower are both Bushy I am using Hornady FTX factory ammo, as my reloading conversion kit and dies are not in yet.
I am hoping I did not make a mistake in buying the 450b, as I also have several hundred dollars in reloading components on the way.
Thanks
scottbander

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:50 pm

Welcome to the forum, Scottbander. Your input is greatly appreciated.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:58 pm

Scott, did you get the name of the person @ Bushmaster?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles