450 BM Magazine Failure

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 450 BM Magazine Failure

Postby JimBobTX » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:11 am

My original 5 rounder didn't have that piece either. I'm new to the 450 scene...just got my carbine a week ago. I have a couple of Colt 20 rounders that hold 7 450 rounds so I opened them up to see the difference. The followers weren't as tall and they had normal springs. I replaced the factory Bushmaster spring and shortened the follower to the length of the Colt's and now have another 7 rounder that works fine.
JimBobTX

Postby Hoot » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:41 am

JimBobTX wrote:My original 5 rounder didn't have that piece either. I'm new to the 450 scene...just got my carbine a week ago. I have a couple of Colt 20 rounders that hold 7 450 rounds so I opened them up to see the difference. The followers weren't as tall and they had normal springs. I replaced the factory Bushmaster spring and shortened the follower to the length of the Colt's and now have another 7 rounder that works fine.

It appears those two pieces of stamped sheet metal serve to encourage the rounds to stay truly centered in the stack and not try to offset slightly. In the mag I transplanted the follower into, those shims don't exist and I've noticed if I cram it full, the pressure makes the rounds want to jog a little. Not that it's a problem as when they enter the top position, the follower and the lips recenter them. While they must be useful or the company would not have incurred the added expense of installing them, I would hope they'd thought to use more than one feeble spot weld on each shim to hold them in place, especially with the high inertial energy content of these rounds under recoil.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:00 pm

Well, my new magazine arrived today. Been getting along fine with a modded conventional mag, but am happy to put it back in reserve now.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby madone » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:34 am

Hoot, yesterday I just received the extra mag I ordered with the upper during t he March sale.

However it seems like an even "newer" design over the one I got originally. I have taken pics, and will try to get the posted tonight, but it looks like now they have:
A: Instead of that odd spring with the compressed coils at the bottom, they now have it cut to "length"
B: To keep the round count limited to 5 it seems they have cut a "limit dimples" into each side of the mag to stop the follower from going down farther.

Is this what your new one is like also?

The new design is lighter due to less weight in the spring. BUT this new design so far prevents me from removing the follower. I'm sure there is a way to twist/line it up just right, but so far I have not been able to get it out. (not that I spend too long trying)
madone

Postby Hoot » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:50 am

I'm at work now, but it did seem lighter and sproing-y-er but I didn't check the round count. Since they're stainless steel, I usually take them apart, polish the spring and inside walls and give them a rub of HBN for good measure. I'll check mine further this evening.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:41 pm

Yeah, they put those two cut tabs in to limit the capacity to 5 rounds. IMHO that is asinine. It also prevents removing the follower. The good news is they took about 5 minutes to iron out and 3 of those were rooting around to find the right piece of steel to use as an iron. Think 3rd class lever.

Folks who shoot .308 battle rifles for deer and live in a state with a 5-shot magazine limit have been putting pieces of wood in the bottom of the magazine for years. Why on earth Bushmaster chose to mod the steel sides is beyond me. I see they are still cheaping out with only one spot weld to hold those stamped steel shims in place. :roll:

After polishing the RUST off of the spring and burnishing HBN into the inside walls, it's as smooth as butter.

At least in my case, the price was right. Will give it as try tomorrow at the range.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby tacster » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:37 am

last i checked midway had magazines. ive had one on backorder for a few months, and it just shipped.

i can only fit 4 bullets in my 450 mag. the magazine wont lock into the gun with 5, and the 5th bullet doesnt seat right. any one else experience this?
tacster

Postby 2zero6 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:11 am

tacster wrote:last i checked midway had magazines. ive had one on backorder for a few months, and it just shipped.

i can only fit 4 bullets in my 450 mag. the magazine wont lock into the gun with 5, and the 5th bullet doesnt seat right. any one else experience this?

Sounds like the Remington mag.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby Hoot » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:50 am

tacster wrote:last i checked midway had magazines. ive had one on backorder for a few months, and it just shipped.

If it's new, see if it has those tabs cut into the front and back near the bottom. They catch the spring coils and prevent it from going all the way down. Not hard to iron them out.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby tacster » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:42 am

2zero6 wrote:

Sounds like the Remington mag.

will do. thanks hoot.
tacster

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles